Vegas crashes, causing me to open veins! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:42 AM   #31
Trustee

Ted,

A few things:

Have you run memtest86 on your computer? It's a memory testing program.

Are your Virtual Memory setting high enough? Ideally, you want to set a min and a max amount the same and quite high. You also want to have VM set on all your partitions, drives so Windows can choose which one to use.

Are you rendering to a different drive than either your project or Windows are on? You should be.

Last, but not least, why not install the 64bit version if you can't get to the bottom of this.

HTH.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 05:43 PM   #32
Trustee

Ted, I read your first post again. And while I doubt it's the cause of Vegas crashing, Virtual Memory should be much higher than 512K.

It should total at least the full amout of RAM you have and probably more. Let's say you have three drives and 4Gig of RAM. There is no reason you couldn't set the Virtual Memory on each drive to 2Gig. You don't want Windows dynamically resizing VM, so set the lower and upper limit to the same amount.

You also want to fully defragment you harddrives (even if Windows says you don't need to) before increasing VM so each VM allocation will be one contiguous block and not fragmented.

HTH
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #33
New Boot

try switching back to Vegas Pro 8a. It fixed all my problems
Wade Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
It should total at least the full amout of RAM you have and probably more. Let's say you have three drives and 4Gig of RAM. There is no reason you couldn't set the Virtual Memory on each drive to 2Gig. HTH
While your advice is obviously well-intentioned, it is not quite complete. There is an excellent reason he might not want to create page files on secondary drives: you should never create page files on drives that are slower than your OS drive. If drive access times, etc are the same on your secondary drives as they are on your OS, fine, but if not, you are wasting space and slowing your system down.

I would like to throw out that I believe the simplest, safest advice one can give to anyone is to allow windows to manage page files. I run without page file sometimes, and run all sorts of configurations as the mood strikes me, but truthfully it all comes out about the same, and I never notice much difference.

I agree it likely has nothing to do with his crashes.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...