A Sound Question from Church - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 26th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks, Jeff

Believe it or not, that is my next purchase. I have another need for a second camera (high school football - two cameras on one tripod) and I will be making a purchase soon. I do own a shotgun mike and ai will try to use it as you recommended.

It is an un-welcomed sorprise when I hear the minister select an un-miked person. The minister is rather old, and makes this decision as he looks over the congregation. The sound person and I have mentioned what we need, he just seems to make the decision on the spur of the moment. Just something I will have to work on.

Thanks again,

Chris
Chris Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I understand the situation Chris. This will not be the last situation where this issue will arise for you, so even if everyone starts using a mike, you will do another event where the same thing occurs anyway, and the solution will be found in being properly equipped. The wedding I mentioned in previous post I technically didn't need to run the shotgun, but if I hadn't used it anyway I would've been screwed thanks to the unexpected problem with the wireless.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 01:32 PM   #18
Tourist

Another Solution

I have used this method a number of times, and it works especially well when you will be shooting the same location over and over.

Try using 2 PZM (pressure zone micrphone) recorded to almost anything. I usually use a portable DAT but even a good cassette deck will do the job.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SoundGrabber/

Since PZM are flat they can be taped to or screwed to otherwise mounted on any flat surface.. Walls, ceiling, the sides of a podium, the back side of an alter.. Feed the PZM to any mixer to record with other programming, or feed to a seperate recording device.

I like using a seperate device because I can deal with the audio in Soundforge during post and drop the audio into my video as needed. Since I tend to record the entire service or event, I then have the option to add other sound (audience noise, choir etc) at whim.

In Soundforge set the level and EQ to closely match the other programming.. This is very fast once you do it, because you can save your EQ, compressor and normalization settings in Soundforge and just apply them each time.

The reason for PZM is that they generally do not get that tinny sound as compared to other mics, and for this purpose will easily outperform a shotgun, even a very good one.

I have used this method for everything from church services, political events, lectures, plays, even symphonies and it works pretty well.

In your situation 1 PZM might do the trick, it all depends on how much area you want to cover.
Rob Lavender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...