Green Screen & Backgrounds at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Rick Johnson

Green Screen & Backgrounds

I’m planning on shooting some backgrounds for some primitive green screen work and I was wondering whether I should shoot them slightly OUT of focus (since that’s how I want them to look), or shoot them IN focus and then blur them in Vegas.

Are there any tutorials out there for learning how to do simple green screen work?

RJ
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Why not shoot them both ways and have the best of both worlds.
The biggest problem shooting them out of focus is that, when you look at the shot on a TV, you may discover that you went too far/not far enough out of focus so shoot several seconds of each backdrop at a number of different focus settings.

For tutorials, check out the one on Keith Kolbo's site. He's got a low budget chroma key lighting tutorial on this same page.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Rick Johnson

Green Screen & Backgrounds

Thanks Mike . . . that’s the advice and the “How To” I was looking for.

RJ
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Well at the same time Rick, if the shot is simple enough, I would just shoot it both ways and see which one you think looks the best. If its simple compositing, like a man walking infront of a tree or something, its not like its a one time shot if you can understand what I mean..
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Without setting up an " on set " keying display, I don't see how you would nail the out of focus amount and if the subject moves relative to the background how would adjust that amount of "out of focus"?
Lastly, what would the disadvantage be to simply shooting it in focus, then adjusting it in post? Unless you want varying degrees of out of focus in the same frame aka depth of field.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...