Sony Vegas 8.0c update wishlist - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 28th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #31
Trustee

Color space wrangling (As Glenn puts it. ;) )

The program should know what to do by the source and destination format.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #32
Tourist

Thanks for the comment, Steven. Couldn't completely agree with you (and Glenn) on that point, regretfully. But this is not the right place to discuss that anyway, I assume :)

OK, let me put it this way: support for YUV in Vegas is a must for me :)

P.S. Mike, thanks A LOT for the link to the article covering Trimmer options. One workaround to deal with the absence of Match Frame function could be to use not just In/Out points but regions for inserts. They can be saved so next time the source is opened I can see which portions of it are already in the project. Although it's not a 100% substitute for Match Frame (since it doesn't refer to actual presence of frames in the project), it can still be used provided one will not forget to delete marked but not used regions when switching to another source in the Trimmer.

I didn't know that, thanks again :)
Gleb Rysanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb Rysanov View Post
This option, though, doesn't show which portion of the source has been used.
Gleb, if you look further to the right in the column list (8th & 9th on the default view), you'll see Timecode In and Timecode Out columns. They show the source tape in/out times.
And, if you change from Events to Selected Events, you can double-click a specific event for this information.
Isn't this what you want?
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb Rysanov View Post
P.S. Mike, thanks A LOT for the link to the article covering Trimmer options.
You're welcome Gleb. Anything for a fellow Ukrainian (my dad came to Canada after WW 2) / Vegas lover :-)
For those of you not sure what we're talking about, I started a new thread with the link to the article.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #35
Tourist

Not exactly. As far as I understand, to make use of this, I'd have to see details of all the events (cut out from a specified source) I have on timeline one by one and see if the source portion I'm currently looking at has a matching timecode. This will work fine for short source footages as there won't be many events originating from it on the timeline and they can easily be checked. With longer sources, however, with quite a number of events belonging to them -- this can be too time-consuming and impracticable. Regions in the trimmer will deal with this better, in a more convenient way, I think (I only have to make sure I do save used ones and delete those not yet used; or name them so as to easily distinguish ones from the others -- an extra stop or two in the workflow, but should work for me). Have to give it a try and see.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

P.S. Nice thing to know our origins start at the same place :) You speak Ukrainian?
I apologise for the off-top, but can't find an option to write a PM on this forum.
Gleb Rysanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #36
Inner Circle

If you click on the "Active Take Name" column, it does a sort so that all clips show up in (time coded) order, according to tape name/number.
I'm not sure if this is helpful in a long-form project but it sure is on short ones.

p.s. If you click on a person's name, you'll see an option to send them an email (if they chose that as an option, that is).

p.p.s. sorry but no, I don't speak the language. Dad & Mom tried to teach me when I was growing up but, as a young kid, I had other things on my mind.
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #37
Regular Crew

How about the ability to keep 2 events linked (video and audio) but being able to trim one and not the other. Premiere has this, you hold CTRL and click and drag the "event" in the timeline and it adjusts without affecting the other "event" it is linked to.

This would make J and L cuts much quicker than having to unlink them.
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #38
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Del Vecchio View Post
How about the ability to keep 2 events linked (video and audio) but being able to trim one and not the other. Premiere has this, you hold CTRL and click and drag the "event" in the timeline and it adjusts without affecting the other "event" it is linked to.

This would make J and L cuts much quicker than having to unlink them.
There's no need to ungroup them. Turn on "Ignore Event Grouping", trim for the J/L cut, turn off "Ignore Event Grouping".

Ignore Event Grouping can be toggled via CTRL-SHIFT-U and there's a button for it on the toolbar.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Good point, but I do enjoy just holding ctrl and doing it instead of toggling stuff on and off. I guess that's just my problem with it. I could always adjust the keyboard shortcuts as well.
Old March 31st, 2008, 04:02 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Couple of things I thought of today...

1. When rendering, please institute an "are you sure" dialog for the cancel render. Nothing worse than being moments away from finishing an all night render only to fat finger the keyboard or mouse and lose it all!

2. On render, please put the PATH to where it's rendering along with the name of the file. I know this seems like a small thing, but when I've got a couple renders going, some to local drives and some over the network, it would be GREAT to know where they are headed.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:27 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Regarding rendering, it would be nice if you could open a "rendering details" dialog box or extension to the existing box. I've often started a render and then thought, "did I remember to check X, Y and Z?" I then stop the render, find that I had, in fact, made the correct selection, and I start the job all over.

Even worse is that case where you *think* it's correct, and after the job is complete, you find that X, Y or Z weren't checked.

Being able to scroll about the timeline to double-check mute settings and such would be good too. Disable changes, but display the rendering state.

Call it the Rendering Security Blanket feature.
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:26 AM   #42
Major Player

How about fixing the cfhd.dll issue for Cineform avi codecs? Jeez it's been two updates since 8.0 and every update I have to rename the cfhd.dll file in Pro 8's folder and use the older 2.5v of the Cineform codec.

Craptacular.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #43
Regular Crew

this'll seem minor but:

1) a collection of ripple-dissolve settings in the Transitions menu (dissolve to dream / past experience).

2) fixing the import image sequence glitch: when applying a fade to a TGA or PNG sequence, this glitch can cause the content to "tear", appearing similar to faulty delta-offset info.

3) 16bit mode, along with 8bit and floating point; i find it preferable in AE and PS (better filtering than 8bit without the colorspace issues of float).

4) allowing videoscopes to display RGB values instead of IRE or % : i get a fair amount of work that is output to RGB.

5) the most commonly used scripts for Vegas organized by category and packaged with the program. (yeh i'm lazy)
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #44
Inner Circle

I have to second the transitions. OK, we have got a great NLE, but a few additional transitions and effects would really be nice.

I am also anxious for the 64 bit version that was announced for end of 2007. I have Vista 64 bit tested and it does rock. I admit Vegas does perform pretty well as is, but the nerd in me wants to see what happens with the upcoming version.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #45
Regular Crew

i forgot...

FOLDERS, like they have in Acid, so i can group tracks and open/close them quickly.

AUDIO ANALYZER... they provide scopes for video, but no RMS/Peak/Phase for audio?!? Vegas started off as an audio app; it seems an obvious tool. (having to use a plug-in for it means u can't monitor what's happening while u adjust EQ or compression... see below)

MULTIPLE FX WINDOWS... it drives me nuts using filters (audio or video) and not being able to see/use more than one at a time.
Rob Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...