Vegas Platinum 8.0 Demo locks up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 7th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Tourist

Vegas Platinum 8.0 Demo locks up

I've been trying to play with the Vegas 8.0 Platinum demo, but the entire program keeps freezing while "Building peaks" after adding clips to my Project Media. This looks to have been a problem that was addressed in 7.0. I have an HV-30 on default settings that I was able to import clips with no problem, but as the background task goes along, that's when I get locked. I can't save anything and have to restart the process each time. My system has 2G of memory, 3Ghz Pent IV.

Kind of discouraging, but since I always read great things about the software, I guess I'm looking for any ideas or at least some encouragement.
Chris Hudetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #2

You don't mention the file type you're importing?
If it's HDV, it won't open in the Demo version; the MPEG encoder/decoder is disabled in the demo.
More information might help pinpoint your problem?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #3
Tourist

I guess that's it...

I was trying to import HDV, so I'm guessing that's the problem. I'd rather they gave me a heads up instead of a hang, but it makes sense.
Chris Hudetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #4

Yeah, you'd almost expect a popup screen or something that says "MPEG input/output is disabled in the trial" or something like that. Somewhat puzzling there is no notice.
Old March 9th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Seems like a strange thing to do. Why they disable HDV? half the people out there are using HDV.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #6

Because of the licensing involved. Most demo programs don't have the MPEG kernel enabled. It's very expensive.
If you're ever bored, take a walk through the MPEGLA website, and read about licensing costs. Very enlightening.
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #7
Tourist

Vegas Pro 8.0 demo

I think I may be confused. I uninstalled the Platinum demo and loaded up the Vegas Pro 8.0 demo and things were imported and peaks were built just fine. I put together a quick few minute video to just try things out and all went well (with the obvious limitation on the output formats available.) Is there a significant difference between the versions that this would have happened? I think it more likely that something was just screwy with my first install of Platinum 8.0... I'm not a pro user, so I'd prefer to step back to the Platinum edition.
Chris Hudetz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...