Vegas's and AISO at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 7th, 2003, 12:35 PM   #1
Wrangler

Vegas's and AISO

I'm not sure if this is more fit for the audio forum but I figured I'd post here first.
I noticed in Vegas's preferences you can set your audio driver to be AISO. What is that? I tried switching to it and I was unable to drag any new clips to the timeline- it said "unsupported audio format" or something along those lines. Btw, I'm using a Sounblaster Audigy.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 03:04 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

You would need the proper ASIO drivers installed. It's just another way of getting sound out of the computer. There are differences in the way sound is handled. Plus, only one program at a time can access ASIO - i.e. if you open two instances of Vegas and aren't careful, the driver will die.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 09:43 PM   #3
Wrangler

Is there a benefit to using ASIO drivers?
Old July 7th, 2003, 10:11 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Do a search for ASIO here: http://www.sonicfoundry.com/forums/Search.asp
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 07:11 AM   #5
Inner Circle

yes, ASIO runs a lower latency typically between 5 to 10ms.. this is posrticualrly handy when synchronising Midi and Audio. With regard to ASIO in Vegas, it assists in keeping down the lag between keyframed pans and effects.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 08:06 AM   #6
Wrangler

How come when I enabled ASIO I couldn't drag any clips to the timeline. I'm using an Audigy 1 card which does, in fact, support ASIO.
Old July 25th, 2003, 03:12 AM   #7
Inner Circle

that depends on the initial configuration of the project...

the files should work fine...

some projects wont load if you have ASIO enabled as the driver if the project itself wasnt saved using the same driver.. this usualy affects projects using Vegas Media Generated files...
Old August 5th, 2003, 03:23 PM   #8
Major Player

My ASIO works fine. Oh, but the Audigy's ASIO format is only 48k and you're project might be 44.1 or whatever. Things' might need resampling.
Old August 6th, 2003, 05:12 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Bob, youre correct there, however resample is done in HW with the SBLive. SBlive default range is 48khz, anythign else is reprocessed, from mp3 to aiff, in teh end what you HEAR is actually 48k, as that is the set output of the card.
Your SW wont show this. EG, your app might show an mp3 at 128kbps, however, the SBLive EMU10k hardware HAS TO convert it to 48khz. Its still SOUNDS like 128kbps as that is the source material, however the HW output of the card is a permanent 48khz.

Ive worked with Emu gear (and have created soundfont packages for use with them) with this in mind.
One thing you will notice about the SB cards is that if you were to resample or convert a source file mp3 to a wav file at 48khz and compare the 2 by ear, the playback on the .wav would sound "cleaner" even thou they both share the same initial dynamic range characteristics as the source file is lossey.
This is due to the conversion characteristics within the HW. the less conversion, the cleaner the sound through hardware.
This wirks with most hardware samplers as well i might add, which is what the SBLive cards are based on.

Again this is where ASIO comes into play, as latency is tight with all this processing happening (this is why the SBLive Audigys are a great companion for this app)....
Old August 7th, 2003, 08:09 AM   #10
Trustee

If you use the ASIO settings in Vegas with an Audigy card, you must select 48 KHz as the project audio sampling rate, regardless of the hardware resampling. The Audigy ASIO interface requires 48 Khz audio.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #11
Inner Circle

youre not wrong there bro :)

the only issue however is that conversion is required if the source audio file isnt 48khz

some people creating specifically for svcd and web and working 44.1 or lower, may not know that 48khz is a given with asio, good call on that one!!

ASIO drivers themselves are set to work 48khz, and the drivers themselves are available for many different soundcards...
The SB cards are prolly the cheapest but work so well with these drivers as theyre HW is a default 48khz engine.
they go perfectly hand in hand :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...