Adapting to Vegas Pro 8 with Premiere CS3 mindset at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 29th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Adapting to Vegas Pro 8 with Premiere CS3 mindset

Hello gang!
I have been using Premiere since version 4, starting back in 1998. I am an expert in this app. However lately I have been having Premiere CS3 3.1.1 crashing on me even on a newly built 4-core processor machine. So I think that it's time to jump ship since Adobe, despite creating the most user-friendly NLE, has undermined the foundation (the engine) behind it.

My questions to you, kind Vegas users, in regards to Vegas Pro 8b are;

1. How does one create sequences, or multiple timelines in case if the project is episode-based?

2. How to change the way the current‑time indicator acts (in Premiere it's blue triagle-like)? In Vegas if you hit the spacebar to play the timeline and then hitting it again returns the current‑time indicator back to the point where the playback started rather than stopping at the point where it reached.

3. How to export to FLV right out of the timeline without rendering to an AVI or other formats? I could easily do so in Premiere. Or export to H.264 for Vimeo if the footage is in HD.

Currently, these are the burning questions I am so in need to find answers to.

Any help is truly appreciated

Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org
Renat Zarbailov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I am not familiar with CS3, though I used to cut on an earlier version of Premiere. But I will say this:

You will be a LOT happier using Vegas, or any other editor, if you stop trying to use it like what you just left, and learn to use it for what it is.

Vegas has it's quirks, but if you give the program a chance, you'l find that it makes many things easier than any other editor out there. Very few of us used Vegas as our first editor, but many of us have gotten here, and have not looked back. In my own case, I went from Canopus to Premiere, to Vegas 6. Now I am on Vegas 8 and not planning on moving to anything else.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Question number 2 is taken care of. In the general preferences there's a way to turn the current-time indicator to play/pause instead of play/stop.
Yay! :)

Old March 29th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I don't understand what you mean in question 1. Semantics I guess because I don't know what a "sequence" is. Or what you are trying to achieve with multiple timelines.

As to question 3...

http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/0...o-flash-video/

Best of luck.

When I want flash video files, I use Riva Encoder.
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well Premiere has ability to have sequences, in other words multiple timelines. This allows only one project file for episode-based projects where each episode has its own timeline. I hope Vegas has a feature like that, it would be painful to create a new Vegas project file for each episode of a show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
I don't understand what you mean in question 1. Semantics I guess because I don't know what a "sequence" is. Or what you are trying to achieve with multiple timelines.

As to question 3...

http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/0...o-flash-video/

Best of luck.

When I want flash video files, I use Riva Encoder.

Old March 29th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #6
Inner Circle

What do you put on the different timelines for episodes?

I guess I am trying to understand what advantage you get by having multiple sequences inside a project.

Do you mean multiple tracks? Where you can drop in new audio and video?

Give me an idea of your workflow from Premiere and what you're trying to achieve, and I am sure either myself, or someone more experienced in Vegas can assist.
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

You can import sequences into other sequences. Imagine importing a timeline into a timeline... It's called nesting sequesnces http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Prem...8F18D2991.html
Why it is handy? If you need to add some footage from previous episode, it's just a click away. premiere rocks when it comes to usability, but lately no reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
What do you put on the different timelines for episodes?

I guess I am trying to understand what advantage you get by having multiple sequences inside a project.

Do you mean multiple tracks? Where you can drop in new audio and video?

Give me an idea of your workflow from Premiere and what you're trying to achieve, and I am sure either myself, or someone more experienced in Vegas can assist.

Old March 29th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renat Zarbailov View Post
You can import sequences into other sequences. Imagine importing a timeline into a timeline... It's called nesting sequesnces http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Prem...8F18D2991.html
Why it is handy? If you need to add some footage from previous episode, it's just a click away. premiere rocks when it comes to usability, but lately no reliability.
Ah ok... yes, you can do nesting in Vegas as well. I've never used it, but many here have.
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #9
New Boot

nesting

"You can import sequences into other sequences. Imagine importing a timeline into a timeline... It's called nesting sequesnces " For Vegas see below:

1. You can open as many instances simultaniously, of Vegas as you want. You may edit in one and render other project in the other open Vegas instances (and so on). This good news for a quad machine.

2. You can nest projects. Open one project and import other projects into the time line. The imported projects will act as media material. But more importantly, you can re-open each subproject on the timeline and edit it in its own project and when you close it, the result will show up in the main project. To re-edit, right click on the subproject and and in the window select "Edit in Vegas".

I edited a full length movie this way. (1.5 hour long, about fourthy nested scenes. Look at solovereturns.com)

I also edited in Premiere, but have been with Vegas since V3.
As former Premier user you may want to know how to "CUT" in Vegas. Make sure auto ripple is on with all tracks (see help) then just hit the letter "S"

jk
John Kert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Welcome to Vegas Renat!

Vegas does not export or render to .flv which is frustrating, but there is a solution. I posted regarding this issue here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...=116349&page=2 where David outlines a solution.

I have rendered project to uncompressed .avi (huge files obviously) then to .flv and the quality is excellent. FYI do not begin with NTSC .avi template but instead render your .avi files to the default template (uncompressed) for best quality.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...