Whites crushed on render at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 1st, 2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Whites crushed on render

Hi,

I'm looking for practical advice for a problem I have.

On Vegas preview window everything looks good (see image Before-render.jpg) and after I render it to mp4 file via Mainconcept templates it comes out with highlights crushed (after-render.jpg). Can you help me achieve the look that I see in my preview window (Before-render.jpg)?

I havent messed with any RGB conversions. Only done a lot of color correction with color curves in Vegas 8. Original files are MXF files from EX1 camera.

Thank you!

Sami
Attached Thumbnails
Whites crushed on render-before-render.jpg   Whites crushed on render-after-render.jpg  

Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami Sanpakkila View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for practical advice for a problem I have.

I havent messed with any RGB conversions.
Sami
Oh yea?

http://glennchan.info/articles/vegas...or/v8color.htm
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Sorry but I should have clarified that practical means step by step advice. I dont understand Glenns tables and the jargon.

Sami
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:58 PM   #4
Inner Circle

We need one more bit of critical info.

Can you paste a screenshot of your project properties window? The one you get when you click File -> Properties.
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:09 PM   #5

dump vegas. you'll never get what you want without a lot of effort.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:17 PM   #6
Trustee

Bill...
I've been using Vegas for years....
And after more jumping around with levels and color space on my last project, I'm really starting to believe you...

I really hope Sony is listening. This really needs addressing.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:35 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
We need one more bit of critical info.

Can you paste a screenshot of your project properties window? The one you get when you click File -> Properties.
Here you go. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Whites crushed on render-project_properties.jpg  
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:36 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I'm curious. How do other programs handle this? I've used Canopus and Premiere Pro, and I never seem to recall having any issues. But to be honest, in working with Vegas Pro 8 in 32 bit mode, I've never had a problem rendering to DVD, mpeg4, or mpeg2.

But here's the thing. I do all my work in Vegas in 32 bit and Studio RGB. When I render to things that want studio RGB everything is perfect. When I render to things that want Computer RGB, they don't seem to spread the gamut, they just fit my signal inside the bigger color space, and everything works as intended.

I know this seems to be a big problem for folks, and maybe I am just lucky that my normal workflow makes it a non-issue.
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:38 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
When I render to things that want studio RGB everything is perfect. When I render to things that want Computer RGB,
Is Computer RGB for things on the web and computer screen and StudioRGB for things like DVD and broadcast?

Sami
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:40 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Here you go. Thanks!
Yep, that's what I figured. You are working in an 8-bit project.

So your preview window is showing computer RGB. The full 0-255 colors. When you render to a format that is destined for broadcast, the values get clipped to what broadcast can show. On Glenn's chart that is Studio RGB or values from 16-235. A subset of the Computer RGB signals.

If you were working in Vegas with Studio RGB then you could output to any codec without the clipping. It's an ugly PITA problem. And one reason I stick to working in 32 bit mode.
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:42 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Bingo. That's it exactly.

Quote:
Is Computer RGB for things on the web and computer screen and StudioRGB for things like DVD and broadcast?

Sami
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:51 PM   #12

well, not exactly. There are codecs that EXPECT computer RGB and there are codecs that EXPECT studio RGB. It really makes no difference what your final distribution venue is; all that matters is what RGB range the final codec you're rendering to EXPECTS to see as input. As Sami has said, Glenn's article is way too confusing to use in day to day practical application.
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:56 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
well, not exactly. There are codecs that EXPECT computer RGB and there are codecs that EXPECT studio RGB. It really makes no difference what your final distribution venue is; all that matters is what RGB range the final codec you're rendering to EXPECTS to see as input. As Sami has said, Glenn's article is way too confusing to use in day to day practical application.
Ok,

Here is what I know.

I work with Cineform based AVI files on the timeline. I work in 32 bit only. I get no color shift that I can determine going to mpeg2, mpeg4, or WMV. By keeping a constant workflow, I eliminate problems and inconsistencies that could cost me time. Before I worked in Cineform, I worked with huffyuv compressed AVI files in the same workflow with the same results.
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:04 PM   #14

Cineform is the ONLY codec I use consistently, because it works consistently in Studio RGB. It's very predictable and accurate. While CFHD works in YUV color space, its I/O is studio RGB. Canopus HQ is an equally dependable and color accurate intermediate.
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:06 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Great minds think alike! LOL! :)

Seriously, I just started using Cineform a few weeks ago and love it, but I was getting by with exactly the same workflow using HuffYUV files. Now my projects move MUCH faster because the Cineform files are a LOT smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Cineform is the ONLY codec I use consistently, because it works consistently in Studio RGB. It's very predictable and accurate. While CFHD works in YUV color space, its I/O is studio RGB. Canopus HQ is an equally dependable and color accurate intermediate.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...