fx effect changing over time - not wanted at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 8th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #1
Trustee

fx effect changing over time - not wanted

I have a colour correction issue.

I have a clip on the time line to colour correct.

So...the cursor is towards the end of the event...

I press event fx icon, call up the colour corrector, and change the settings to what I want.

If I then click on an earlier part of the event, the CC circles move back towards default positions.

It looks like some sort of automation/keyframe is controling the application of the fx but I want the CC to apply the same across the whole event without change.

Never seen this before. Have I turned something on?
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Keyframes allow changing settings over time. You're adding a new keyframe toward the end of your effect. The first keyframe hasn't been changed. Therefore, it's changing from nothing (the first keyframe) to your settings (the last keyframe) over time. I have an article explaining keyframes in one of my newsletters - just look through the archives.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Edward,

I'm familiar wth keyframes and they way theynchange effects over time, but have never come across them with colour corrector, especially when I can't see the keyframe window showing me what is going on.

I simply do not want keyframes applying in this instance.

Is it automatic that a keyframe is put in even though I don't want keyframes at all?

How do I make the CC apply to the whole event without invoking keyframes?

This is the first time I have been aware of this happening, and wonder now if CC that I thought was ok in the past may not have been, because I was thinking it applied to the whole event but it did not. Is this a trap for young players?
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Trustee

Ok, so I've remembered how to bring up the keyframe window and can see what is happening now.

However, is there anyway for the CC settings you choose, to be applied to the whole event regardless of where the cursor is?
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

To the left of the keyframe options is an icon containing a lock. ("snap to cursor") Turn that option OFF. Then it will always default to the first keyframe instead of wherever the cursor is located.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks again Edward. That sounds like what I am after.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...