Samsung Monitor Suggestions?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Samsung Monitor Suggestions??

Hi,
After reading tons of reviews, it seems that Samsungs are pretty hard to beat. If you use a Samsung monitor for video editing what would you suggest and what to stay away from? I want to setup a two monitor system one for editing with the other for viewing. I need both monitors to be capable (switchable) of viewing 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios correctly.
I am currently looking at the following monitor, but I've heard that TN monitors are a no no. Is this true? Other than that I like the specs; 2ms, digital/analog interface, etc.. Please give me your professional opinion. Camcorders that I use are the Sony DCR-VX2100 and the Sony HDR-HC7 Thanks, Ray
P.S. I know about the "S" and "A" series issues on this particular monitor. S is preferable.

Samsung 226BW
Panel Type: a-si TFT/TN
Viewable Size: 22.0" Wide
Pixel Pitch: 0.282mm
Brightness (typical): 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio (typical): 3000:1 DC
Response Time (typical): 2 ms (G to G)
Viewing Angles (H/V): 160/160
Native Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Aspect Ratio: 16:10
Maximum Color: 16.7M
Interface: Analog/Digital
Input Video Signal: Analog RGB, TMDS Digital Link, DVI
Sync Type: Separate H/V, Composite, SOG
Input connetcors: 15-pin D-sub, DVI-D
Plug and Play: DDC 2B
Power Consumption: 55 Watt (max.), <2 watt (DMPS mode
Stand Type: Simple
Cabinet Color: Piano black
VESA Wall Mount: 100 mm
Magic Technologies: MagicTune with asset management, MagicSpeed, Magic Contrast, MagicBright 3
Special Features: DVI (HDCP), Swivel and tilt
Dimensions (W x H x D): 20.3" x 16.6" x 8.6"
Ray Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Your Samsung should be fine. Many of the Samsung models are not very adustable, which is an absolute requirement for me, and a common complaint for those who purchase the non-adjustable models. I notice your model is not height adustable. I couldn't live with that myself.

The differenced between many of the good monitors out there are, to me, mostly boil down to preference.

If you notice the reviews for most monitors, people rave about almost every model because they are usually upgrading from an old monitor.

Samsung monitors are popular, but so are HP and Dell.

Go to a store and look at them to gain an idea of what is best for you. Selecting a monitor must be done by looking at them, not just reading about them. I looked at the Samsungs and personally wan't impressed. I liked other models more, but that is just me.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; April 12th, 2008 at 10:16 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have the Samsung 206BW monitor (20") on my computer and I'm very happy with it. I don't think you can wrong with a Samsung monitor, they're really nice. On the other hand, when comes the times to do color correction and other type of filtering in Vegas, I'm using a 26" Samsung LCD TV (#LN-T2642H) as a second monitor.

I'm not an expert as to tell if it's the right way to go but all I can say is that there's a HUGE difference between the computer monitor and the TV on every possible aspects you can think of. Maybe I could calibrate my monitor so it looks exactly like the TV but I doubt.

Once I burn a DVD of my project and watch it onto my high def CRT TV in the living room, I can say it's much closer in terms of colors, contrast, and filtering to my Samsung TV than it is to my computer monitor.

This is why I'm never relying on what I'm seeing on my computer monitor.

Hope this helps,
Benoit Bissonnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the replies! Well, here is my latest find; A Samsung 2253BW 22" monitor which I'm told replaces the 226BW. The PDF on this model is can be found at the link below. What I like about this monitor is the ability of using it as DVI or Analog RGB. Correct me if I'm wrong, if I was to have two of these one setup as a main monitor with the other setup as analog would'nt the analog monitor be close to what you would see on a TV? If so, I could use the analog setup for color correction during editing. One of the things I like about this monitor is that it is switchable for differant aspect ratios which is explained in the PDF below.
Another scenario which may be much better is to use this monitor as a monitor and use a LCD TV such as the Samsung Series 4 450 for viewing/editing purposes. This LCD TV is also 22". The link for this LCD TV is also found below.
I know I probably sound a little ignorant on this, but I want to know which would give me the best setup for video editing. This is why I'm turning to you folks that are experienced for your help. I appreciate all of your input and help.Thanks, Ray
P.S. I tried to add the PDF files from Samsung, but was unable to.

Last edited by Ray Paula; April 12th, 2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: To Add PDF Files
Ray Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #5
Inner Circle

What about a Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP?

I looked at Samsung's as well but in the end went for this Dell. I'm VERY happy with it :=)

I believe the LCD panel in it is either a Samung or LG one anyway and, at 24-inches (plus my secondary monitor for previewing video) this one is just a joy to work on for editing! I thought very hard about 22-inch monitors but I'm really glad I went for a 24-inch one.

I also suggest you dig around in the monitor section (where the link below was originally posted) as there may well be more info on there which you'll want to read about various monitors people are using and recommendations etc.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=116972
Old April 12th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

If you deliver to the TV (DVD or Blu-ray), rather than to the Internet, I recommend using a TV.

I use a Sharp GP1-series 1080p TV as my video monitor at work and couldn't be happier. The color curves on the Sharp TV and the Viewsonic monitor are quite different. Dark blues on a monitor are mid blues on a TV.

Disclaimer: I work for Sharp Labs of America. (Regardless, I can highly recommend Sharp's 32" 1080p TVs for editing. They are not video reference monitors though. That's another class of product altogether...)
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your input. Sounds like a LCD TV is the way to go in regards to viewing/editing purposes. Now that I think I have a Monitor and TV picked out, I'm wondering about the connectivity to a graphics card. The monitor and TV connections are the following;

Samsung 2253BW LCD Monitor
DVI
Analog RGB

Samsung Series 4 450 LCD TV
1 HDMI (HD Multimedia) Interface rear
Component video: 1 (Y, Pb, Pr)
A/V inputs: rear
S-Video Input: rear
RF antenna input: rear
Headphone jack: rear
PC D-sub: rear

I want to use the LCD TV for viewing during editing in order to get the colors as close as possible for final dvd burning. My videos are primarily used for SD and HD television.
Will the Nvidia Quadro FX3700 accomodate both the monitor and TV with the connections shown above? This card has Two Dual-Link DVI Output Ports. Would I need a certain type of cable for connecting to the TV? If so, please give me the info needed for the correct cords to use.
As you can see I'm a little ignorant when it comes to the connectivity, but I want to make sure I get the right card to accomodate this monitor and TV. Your help will be most appreciated! Thank you, Ray

Last edited by Ray Paula; April 12th, 2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: additional comments
Ray Paula is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...