Vegas and RED... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 19th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas and RED...

So I'm sure that you all have heard of the miracles that they're working on over at RED, one of them being the Scarlet. If you haven't heard, then go here and check it out: http://www.red.com/nab/scarlet

Considering the price of this new camera and its many features (shooting in 3K, 1-120fps, etc...), many many will board the train in early 2009.

My question is this: is there any suitable workflow for processing RED footage ( 3K RAW) using Sony Vegas?

I love Vegas and if there isn't already a workflow, then I hope that Sony will make one.

SB
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Steven,

I was speaking to one of the Red programmers at NAB and asked the same question. He "unofficially" said that if the majority of editors (including Vegas) aren't able to import the Red footage, they (Red) will have something out that will convert the video. He didn't go any further than that, but he knew I was a Vegas user and really want the Scarlet when it is released. I don't think they will announce anything official until its ready to go.
Hope that helps.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Couldn't one capture with Cineform HDLink? Then edit with the Cineform intermediate?

Last edited by Mark Holmes; April 19th, 2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Typo
Mark Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #4
Inner Circle

At NAB, Cineform showed an *early* prototype of a plugin that will handle RED RAW in Windows. It was rough, it crashed and it was on Prmiere...

By the time Scarlet is available, it should be solid and have a nice feature set.

The main thing is that Cineform showed their intent to support RAW on Windows.
Old April 21st, 2008, 02:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

That's all great news guys, but can Vegas handle the 4K resolution?
Steven Bills is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...