Confusion re 32 bit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 26th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Confusion re 32 bit

Hi all,

Looking for a clarification re 32 bit floating point processing.

I am a beta tester for the new MB Looks which at this point does not support 32 bit (same as previous versions). I believe they are working on it.

My question is if I apply Looks (or any other non-32-bit compliant fx) to my entire video - eg at master video output level - does this completely negate the point of working in 32-bit? Are there any benefits to 32-bit in this case or should I stay in 8-bit?

Cheers,

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If you have other FX leading up to it, those could leverage the extra precision and headroom of floating-point, but, yes, the entire pipeline is getting shoved through an 8-bit straw.

Unless you're doing something extreme, you probably want to stay 8-bit.

-Matt
Matthew Chaboud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yeah, pretty much what I was expecting to hear. I have a few instances of Levels earlier in the pipeline but nothing mind blowing. I'll stay in 8-bit until the 32-bit Looks is available. Thanks Matt.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...