rendering sfap0 in nested projects--Y so Looong? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 7th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #1
Major Player

rendering sfap0 in nested projects--Y so Looong?

I have a project with three nested events on the timeline. It takes over 15 minutes for an event 2h4m, long ties up the screen, and barely uses the CPU. I wish it would crank up both CPU's for 15 seconds and get it over with.

is this normal? Any way to speed it up or make it on-demand as opposed to automatic?

I'm running a CoreDuo 3.2GHz with 2GB of ram. Raw files are on an internal SATA drive. The veggie is on the same drive, but i render to a different internal SATA drive.

Any thoughts?
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #2
Major Player

rendering nested projects

I noticed rendering time going up exponentially when i nested veg files in veg files. My CPU is more anemic that yours.

My previous method was to pre-render animated supers as 1080 progressive (working with HDV here) and drop the rendered M2T file in lieu of the nested VEG. Rendered the 1:13 duration program a lot faster. But I ran into some corruption, documented here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ighlight=crash

As I was under the gun, I continued with nested VEGgies, but I am going back to this prerendered workflow when I get some time to work the issues out.

I really like having two instances of vegas, one rendering the super and the main project in the other, great flexibility if I don't like the effect, I can just go back and fix it quickly.

Last edited by James Harring; May 8th, 2008 at 05:31 AM. Reason: more detail
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #3
Trustee

nesting...

I used to use nested projects, but for the exact same reasons listed above (the vid0 render) I went back to using 1 project file. Granted, my most recent project (a two camera wedding movie) had 38 tracks (video & audio - due to bus level audio cleanign effects in real time, some clips needed their own track which greatly expanded the number of tracks).

The project is a monster to open, but a 3GHz P4 HT with 2.5GB of RAM does the trick just fine.

Last edited by Jason Robinson; May 9th, 2008 at 12:21 PM.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...