New Vegas system/upgrade? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 10th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #16
Major Player

Fix or replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Martin View Post
BTW Jeff. It seems like it takes forever just dropping clips in the time line in HD compared to Dv. When I look at my task manager while working in Vegas, one core is maxed out while the other is barely being used. Is there a setting to use both cores? Thanks.
Interesting clue here-- not firing on all cylinders?
First- a warning. We're monkeying with some basic stuff here, impacts whole PC, so usual caveats about the (slight) possibility of turning your pc into a brick apply here -like don't do this if the power could go out and create restore points before updating the AMD/Windows part apply.
That said, I've not had any issues doing this, but I've been working with PC's for years, I don't know your skill level. If in doubt get a pro, or maybe you'll be upgrading afterall.

First: ensure the PC's BIOS is current. There were a number of different steppings of processors, this ensures compatibility with what I am suggesting you do below.

Second: Apply the Windows dual core hotfix:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256

Next:
Go to the AMD.com website and look for the AMD CPU SETUP file.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html
This is likely the root cause, the other stuff is supporting this patch.

Finally -- I am not using this (I think it is for gamers), but you can try this too: AMD Dual-Core Optimizer
same location as AMD CPU SETUP file.

Now the threads should go between both CPU's. If it is still stuttery, go to START, RUN, MSCONFIG and turn off all the stuff you can get away with on STARTUP TAB. rEBOOT. tRY IT.
You can also try services (hide ms services), the OS generally won't let you stop critical stuff so reasonably safe.
Enable stuff slowly, I usually pick 1/3-1/2 see if performance degrades. If not, issue is in second half of currently stopped items.
Remedy as you observe the issue goes away.
I put a post that antivirus can cause issues too, just can't remember where... recommend you (temp) stop that too.
James Harring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...