Vegas 3 way color corrector like in FCP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 14th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas 3 way color corrector like in FCP?

Is anyone aware of a color correction plug-in for Vegas Pro 8 that has low, mid, and high level controls (not just color controls) like the one found in FCP? The color corrector that comes with Vegas let's you adjust colors for shadows, mids, and highlights, but there isn't an individual 'level' control for each. FCP has the color wheel as well as a level control for all three. For example, if I wanted to crush my blacks, bump up the mids, or completely blow out my highlights, what could I use? A third party plug-in would be fine as well, if Vegas doesn't come with something like that.
David W Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

When I want to crush my blacks, bump my mids, and blow out highlights I use a color curve or levels. Levels is a little easier to use but offers less "preciseness". Color curves are more difficult to use, but offers more "preciseness". Is this what you are looking for?
Andrew Kufahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

See if the (free) Six Vector Color Corrector will do what you want.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I think that is what I'm looking for, Andrew. I've not used color curves too much. So using a color curve, a simple vertical adjustment at the top end of the curve would raise highlight levels?
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the color corrector link. It doesn't seem to be quite what I'm looking for.
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The controls offset, gain, and gamma do the same thing as the sliders as in FCP. The interface is different... in Vegas, I believe you'd have to 'juggle' the controls.

I highly prefer the look of curves or levels instead of that method though.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

David,

If I'm understanding your "vertical adjustment" comment, then my really simplistic answer would be "yes". Below a link to a tutorial that discusses using color curves to fix washed-out images, or images that are too dark.

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~wvg/tutorial-1.htm

For increasing brightness on the highlights, grab the grab-handle for the upper portion of the curve and raise it up and pull it to the left. To decrease the darks (squash blacks) grab the grab-handle for the lower portion of the curve and pull it down and to the right. For the mids, double-click the line/curve to add a new control point, then move it around or adjust the grab handles. You really just need to do it a bunch of times on a bunch of pictures or videos... after a while it'll start to make sense. Normally I watch the histogram and luminance displays while I do it to make sure I don't blow-out the highlights or squash the lows too much... it's a good visual guide (for me).

I used to go back-and-forth with using versus not using color curves. It took a while before I felt comfortable using them. For me, they offer that extra bit of flexibility that "Sony Levels" alone does not.
Andrew Kufahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:29 AM   #8
Inner Circle

There's a 3-way cc in the forthcoming Looks for Vegas (MB3) which appears to give you the control you are looking for. For an idea of what will be in it, check out the After Effects version at http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/magi...s.html#details

Just noticed there is even a screenshot showing the cc in use.

Last edited by Ian Stark; May 15th, 2008 at 11:04 AM.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thank you, everyone, you have been most helpful! I'm really looking forward to magic bullet for Vegas, looks like its coming soon.

I'll start playing with color curves as you suggest, and thanks!
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Glenn Chan posted a color curves presets veg on his site that you might want to experiment with.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 05:02 AM   #11
Major Player

What are the advantages of the MB3 3wheel corrector versus the one provided by Sony?
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for the presets, Mike! And Roger, as far as the advantages of Magic Bullet, I've only see demos of it's interface and capabilities, but I'm impressed, and it seems clear that it's way more powerful that the included color corrector in Vegas. If you get a free moment, check out some of the video tuturials:
http://www.studiodaily.com/main/news/feed.rss/8216.html
http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/_ass...ingstarted.mov

Last edited by David W Williamson; May 27th, 2008 at 09:43 AM. Reason: adding links
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shealy View Post
What are the advantages of the MB3 3wheel corrector versus the one provided by Sony?
Nice candid answer direct from MB:

"The real answer is that it is up to the user to decide which is best for them. Ours is in there in the context of creating a look, where it might be more useful having it right there. However, if you just want to color correct, and are more comfortable with Vegas' 3-way, then you should use that. To me it is an individual choice, and users should use what makes them the happiest and produces the best results for their work."

Refreshingly straightforward I think!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #14
Trustee

Sounds like you guys need to examine the pictures more. Different cameras need different post adjustments. One single preset isn't going to help.

Curves is a good filter, but please, please, use it in conjunction with the scopes! Quite often you need far more than simple curves. Vegas is damn good at this (far better than FCP in this regard).
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #15
Major Player

Simon,

Any advice on a good way to learn the Vegas color correction, scopes, and curves? Free or low cost is great.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...