two screens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Major Player

two screens?

Is there any way to have two separate screens up in Vegas 8? What I would like is a main screen as it is and a second screen to preview clips to check what I want where when I need to do this now I use two separate vegas running one all on one screen and one on two screens then drag from one to another, but it woudl be better if they were all in pone application.

When I say screen I mean not actual LCD monitors but player screens in Vegas, on rereading it may get me some how to hook up two monitor type answers, that is not the problem, I have 4 running on each system, I just do not see an easy way to have two monitor previews in one instance of vegas.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Not sure if you are looking for a source style screen but the trimmer in vegas
can be set to act like a preview window so you have the trimmer to preview
the source material and select and the preview window to show the timeline.
If this is what you are looking for check this thread.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ssageID=552879

Last edited by Jim Ohair; May 22nd, 2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: vocab
Jim Ohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

In my opinion, having a second preview screen there would be a total waste of screen space. I like everything previewing in the one window and I can put other things where that second window would have to be allowing me to see more things at once. However, the short answer to your question is no.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

While I like most of the interface that Vegas sets up by default, I was hoping there would be an option like this as well. Having a preview monitor to select in/out for the clips is very useful and more inviting for editors who have learned on Avid/FCP and similar edit systems.

For those who don't want to read the whole thread in the sony forums, one poster named rosebud wrote this:

I hoped for this option for a long time.
In VP8, I found it only in internal preference (Trimmer Single Frame > True).
Devin Termini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

My firs NLE also had two preview screens - one for the project and one for previewing/selecting clips. Those two windows took up most of the screen space. It was refreshing to me when Vegas only had one that did both tasks. More screen space was available. I didn't have to switch back and forth between screens.

Besides, I almost never use the trimmer. While I agree there are cases where it's useful (and I do use it in those cases), most of the time it makes more since to just drop the footage on the timeline and start editing from there - at least for what I do.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Major Player

to me it makes sense, I mean screen space is not at all my problem, I have 3 24inch and a 1920x1080 hdtv all connected, I only use one for the timeline and the preview on the hdtv so I see TV colors instead of the dark muted computer version, I use to have the display screen and a hdtv as well, but really see little point to both running the same image so I have two monitors I can use, and it woudl be nice to keep checking the hundreds of clips from movies on a separate screen rather than keep pulling them into the main timeline at the end or above to see them, if its above I need to mute the main soundtrack, if its at the end I then, once I find the one I want have to scroll all through the timeline to put it where I need it, just seems like a total waste of time and clicks, I will try to set up the trimmer on a separate monitor and see if that helps.

Thanks.
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #7
Major Player

In the trimmer is there anyway to lower the volume of the trimmer track? when its loud soundtrack it is very loud to move around there, my timelines have a reduced volume already but the trimmer seems to be full volume.
Old May 24th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #8
Major Player

well so far I like the trimmer idea, I set it to double click in the project media and open in the trimmer which is great, now if I could figure out how to turn down the volume that would be cool, don't think thats an option here though unless I lower it per clip.
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #9
Regular Crew

...i love the source/program monitors of premiere/final cut/avid...but i overall like vegas better than those...i use the trimmer all the time...i expand the video view and shrink the audio view in the trimmer...just right click on trimmer and you have a few different trimmer view options...
Matthew Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Good evening,

I come from years on premiere Pro and I to have liked having the dual viewing windows. I run dual monitors so space has never been a problem.
While I am not very familiar with Vegas yet, I must say that I have preferred to edit out of the time line and not use the trimmer much.
I suspect that the more familiar one becomes with the tools the more you will use them.

However if you sort out how to do it, I would likly set mine up the same way as it is more like what I am used to.

What a great discussion!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...