Video Card Preferences at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 26th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Video Card Preferences

So it's time once again to upgrade one of my computers. "Deep Thought" is groaning under the weight of Vegas.

Years ago, I read that the best/only decent video card for NLE is Matrox, so each time I've upgraded, I've sucked up the cost of a Matrox Millenneum (the P650 is currently Cdn$270 at my usual retailer) over the others.

So before shelling out said $270, just wanted to check that the Matrox advice still holds good.
Opinions? Good alternatives?
Thx as always...
Reg Gothard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Save your money and get an NVidia card.
Unless you're running Magic Bullet, all you need is a decent dual-head card that meets your needs.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

i used to use Matrox cards (G400 > G550)... they were very good for the price and had great reproduction of 2D media (video/stills).

i now use an nVidia (GT8800) and its great... i never did a side-by-side compare. to my eye, i've seen no drop in quality of 2D content... that said, GPU acceleration makes no difference to Vegas performance, tho it does for the Magic Bullet plugin.

the GT8800 cost slightly less (about $250 including tax). u may wanna search for a compare between 'em.

caveat
you may wanna research recent issues with QuickTime/nVidia and AfterEffects/nVidia (these problems also exist with ATI cards) and add them to the equation before making a decision... it hasn't affected me however.

personally i'd suggest getting an nVidia. the feature set on the GT8800 may seem more than u'd need, but it's a great card for the price... sorta like the way Matrox cards used to be. :)

-rob
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Also interested in info on video cards. I have decided on a Diamond HD 3870oc edition with 1024 of memory, but I have not opened it. Some have said that 1024mb of memory is too much and does not get utilized because the card only uses about 512 max at a time. I was told that the HD3870 standard would run just as well. Let me know you experience.

Thanks!
Mario
Mario Salazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:27 AM   #5
Trustee

Gfx memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Salazar View Post
Also interested in info on video cards. I have decided on a Diamond HD 3870oc edition with 1024 of memory, but I have not opened it. Some have said that 1024mb of memory is too much and does not get utilized because the card only uses about 512 max at a time. I was told that the HD3870 standard would run just as well. Let me know you experience.

Thanks!
Mario
As has been said above, your graphics card is practically useless for Vegas, other than to display more desktop. Vegas is ALL software/CPU and doesn't touch any of those fancy texture pipelines or any of the graphics texture memory (that is what those 1GB gfx cards have all that memory for).

You could get a $100 card with 256MB of DDR2 (instead of GDDR3) and your computer would render just as fast. Spend the extra money on a Q6600 or dual quad core Xeons. That is where you will notice the difference.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:49 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Jason's advice is quite correct - graphics card has no effect on Vegas performance - but it does assume that you are only looking to improve the performance of Vegas. If you use your machine for anything else, eg After Effects, 3d apps, etc then video card choice is important.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:45 AM   #7
Major Player

But quality of components does...

Agree that Vegas doesnt use the the power or memory of video cards (isnt that wasteful though? Why doesnt it?)

However I had a poor experience with a cheap/nasty card (cost $50) - its s/w made it difficult to calibrate the monitor, so whereas i dont think Vegas users need to necessarily use $400 cards I would suggest avoid cheap budget cards.
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:47 AM   #8
Major Player

Like Mike said, For Magic Bullet 2.0 and over, a graphiccard from nvidia 7800 and up, will make you work with their filters, misfire and so on, in REAL TIME.

No more delay on workflow and render that will say....

The only thing important with graphiccards to Vegas, is to check their out connections. Like if you have 2 monitors with a HD TV for preview, you will be looking for a graphiccard with 2x DVI and 1x HDMI...
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:18 AM   #9
Trustee

Ok i'm thinking of upgrading my graphics card from a nvidia 8600gt with 1gb ram to what ?

When i use both monitors, my the picture seems to stutter a bit, especially when i start adding effects. It can't be my pc under strain, it's a quad core q6600 with 4gb ram.

What are the numbers to look at on graphics cards ?
clock speed, shader speed and all that, i know about proccesor speed and ram etc for a computer but the graphics cards are a bit of a mystery to me.

I'm running 2 monitors,19 & 20 inch, with dvi inputs.

Can anyone recommend a nvidia ?

Thanks.

Paul.
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:58 PM   #10
Major Player

Your Quad Core with 4GB RAM is one of the fastest desktop machine for rendering. Well, the 4GB of your doesnt matters, try take out 3GB, and you still make your rendering time the same as with 4GB....
But still, even with your computer, You cant have a workflow with no lag, stuttering and live preview.
Only if you have a project with strictly usual editing like cutting and so, you can get a pleasent workflow...
But, as fast you start adding effects, transitions, multiple tracks, track motion maybe, or 3d track motion and etc, your system doesnt count. To have a heavenly workflow, you have to have those hardware boxes like avid for an example have... that will clear up the effects stuttering... but still it depends what you have in you projects too...
I have no experience about this, I have only read a little bit on avids website. I think the hardware where named "mojo".
There is external hardware which handle things like effect with real preview, but those systems cost mucho...

Graphic card Doesnt matter like there is posted if you look. Not when it come to using it with Vegas, Vegas itself doesnt use the power of the GPU on the grafic card. You have 2x DVI, well then you need a card with 2x DVI on its back. Cards with 2x DVI usually have one other ouput, S-video or HDMI, its up to you to check what you need.

I have an nVidia 7900GS, it works great on my two 19" LCD (two acer identical).
ATI vs nVidia is something like Intel vs AMD... set your mind up your self.

Last edited by Kim Olsson; May 31st, 2008 at 07:18 PM.
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:12 PM   #11
Trustee

Avid Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Olsson View Post
To have a heavenly workflow, you have to have those hardware boxes like avid for an example have... that will clear up the effects stuttering... but still it depends what you have in you projects too...
I have no experience about this, I have only read a little bit on avids website. I think the hardware where named "mojo".
There is external hardware which handle things like effect with real preview, but those systems cost mucho....
Right, the mojo boxes work with the Avid software so that Avid uses the mojo hardware to do all the CC & effects work in real time at full resolution. That way there is not CPU bottle neck. They start around $1200 I think.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:56 PM   #12
Major Player

Dont forget to buy Avid to that box too, price for Avid is 2200 EURO. I think effects is the smallest problem when it comes to stuttering editing.

3D track motion and large images is something you cant solve. If you dont have computer hardware as in, state of the art. I dont mean desktop PC's, I mean industrial miljon dollars computer like for an exampel the movie inustri have afford with...
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...