DVD's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 7th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD's

So which is the preferred DVD: + or - R's. I've always used + R's but there is always talk on here of using the -. Also what seems to be the best brand now?

Thanks
John
John Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm no expert, but have authored and burned a few hundred starting about 6 or 7 years ago. I believe the price was around $18 a piece for RW, and $16 for R's back then.

I've pretty much stuck with DVD+R/RW, but have used a few DVD-R/RW's, they worked okay as well.

At this point I prefer Verbatim Litescribe disks. They work very well for my authoring and duplication, and I like the labeling ability. Disk printers are very expensive.

You might look at this forum for more info. http://dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Others may chime in as well.

jamie
Jamie Hellmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #3
Major Player

I use standard silver Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs. I usually print labels on the stickers and apply, because as you said, disk printers are expensive.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Edward, you run MUCH risk when putting labels on a DVD. Printers that can print on CD/DVD are often under $100 - well worth it to eliminate another compatibility issue. I agree that there are some expensive disc printers out there. But even many cheap epsons will print on a CD/DVD today.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 06:44 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Agreed Edward T.

I have several printers but by far my favourite is the Epson R360 which allows me to quickly print to white DVD's - in fact that's all I use it for. It also comes bundled with some quirky but perfectly usable DVD/CD design software. I have had some really great results and it looks a lot more professional for my clients when I am sending them projects for review and approval. I think the 360 is no longer sold but the R380 is available for $115 and up. Well worth the investment.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Why not get the TY printables (a few pennies more) and pick up the Epson whatever model number and go to town. The results are awesome and no risk of something going wrong in the DVD player due to a label.
I'm still old technology. 2 Epson R200s that have run perhaps thousands of discs thru them and they just keep on running.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #7
Major Player

I recently purchased the Primera Bravo SE. It burns and prints up to 20 discs at a time. We shoot around 100 weddings per year and each bride gets 10 DVDs of the wedding. Thats 1000 times I have to put a DVD in the burner and 1000 times I have to print it. It was getting way out of hand with all of the time spent just burning discs. Now I just create the label in the included software and then tell it how many copies to burn. It was around $1,200, but money well spent. I would have never considered buying one of these 3 years ago.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I agree with the stickly labels being the least desireable way to label a DVD.
I also strongly agree with the R280, (I haven't heard of the 380).

The Espson DVD printing is fantastic. The Primera Bravo is the next step up, and those two DVD/CD printers are the most used by all professionals in this area.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Wow, I didn't know disk printers were available so economical now.

The last time I searched the web (some time back) none of these econimal Epson printers showed up. Only high dollar and high production stuff seemed to be available. We use duplicator/printer combos at church, but again high dollar and cost prohibitive for my needs.

Litescribe is safe, waterproof and permanent, but monotone only. I would not use adhesive labels either.

I'll definitely check out the Epsons. Thanks for the info.

jamie
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I use the white printable Tai Yudens. They are, according to some folks, supposed to be the best you can buy, but I don't know that for a fact.

Here's a link. This is about as low as a price you will find, Though I buy mine from the Tape Company.
http://www.burnsmart.com/ty-16x-iwhub-dvdr.html
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Yeah, me too, Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R white printable - they allow you to print right up to the hub as well and really do give superb results.

I have never had one returned from a client or duplication house but I have two low budget DVD players here that won't play them (but will play low cost Philips DVD-R's without a hitch). I also have a selction of other low, mid and high budget players which play them fine.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Ok

Thanks for the replies on the dvd printers, but what about the + or - r's? In the last response why do you use - r's? Where are you getting the Taiyo Yuden DVD's? Sorry for the questions just looking for good information before purchasing DVD's.

Thanks
John
John Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I have only used -r for years now, following advice given here I expect! It's my understanding that -r is the format that is most widely supported on domestic DVD players, therefore you have a greater chance of success of your DVD working. Whether that is based in fact I don't know but it seems to work for me!

Further, my duplicators request -r as the format for masters.

I buy my DVD's from a UK online supplier http://dvdshoponline.co.uk/DVD-R_Printable.html but I believe an earlier poster included a US site.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...