Vegas says my HF10 50i clips are 25i. Is this right? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 9th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas says my HF10 50i clips are 25i. Is this right?

sorry for the question.
I cant get my head around this.
Im shooting at 50i (yes, PAL) but vegas reports 25i when i set the project to match the media. also it shows the same thing in media manager.
I seem to have to set my projects to double PAL to get 50i.
Im trying to get output for both web and my 1080i LCD. I know i need different settings for each but its the project setting im worried about.

what am i doing wrong and what dont i understand? I know its something very simple. not great with numbers though.

Cheers.

dave.
Dave Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Dave. Where are you seeing 25i? Vegas normally reports the project settings as Frame Rate (e.g. 25.000) and Field Order (e.g. Upper Field First). For a 50i project, I would expect to see frame rate of 25.000 and Field Order of Upper Field First for HDV or Lower Field First for DV.

50i means there are 50 fields per second, which is 25 frames. I have never seen 25i before.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Richard.
I understand that 50i is derived from 25p, that why i was surprised at seeing 25i and not 25p

Here is a screen shot of the project settings.
http://davepearce.smugmug.com/photos...19_sS599-M.jpg

and here its showing 25i under the preview window.
http://davepearce.smugmug.com/photos...12_YSDRT-M.jpg

This was set by the match media settings and all files are 50i

I notice that if i set the field order to none the project becomes 25p
Im also getting this in Vegas pro but i can change the project settings to double PAL and get 50i. Should i need to do this?

I guess im missing something here.

Dave.
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #4
Trustee

Hi Dave. The project settings screen grab shows 25 frames per second and Upper Field First, so no problem there.

The other screen grab shows the preview window. I did notice this a long time ago, but I'd totally forgotten about it. The 25i just means 25 frames per second and interlaced, which of course should be 50i. This is not the standard way to represent a project, therefore it is misleading, but don't worry about it.

Please don't try and set the project to double PAL just to see 50i displayed at the preview window. It is likely to cause you more problems than it is worth.

Richard
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter View Post
Hi Dave. The project settings screen grab shows 25 frames per second and Upper Field First, so no problem there.

The other screen grab shows the preview window. I did notice this a long time ago, but I'd totally forgotten about it. The 25i just means 25 frames per second and interlaced, which of course should be 50i. This is not the standard way to represent a project, therefore it is misleading, but don't worry about it.

Please don't try and set the project to double PAL just to see 50i displayed at the preview window. It is likely to cause you more problems than it is worth.

Richard
Richard.
Thanks very much for taking the time to look at those and to put my mind at rest. I must admit the end products have been coming out fine.

one more question if you dont mind.
If im just outputting for web/PC viewing only should i set the project to field order none (progressive scan) or should i set this when i render?
Or does it not matter?

Thanks again

Dave.
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #6
Major Player

yeah, there isn't a 25i video standard!
Vegas doesnt say correct.
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pearce View Post
If im just outputting for web/PC viewing only should i set the project to field order none (progressive scan) or should i set this when i render?
Or does it not matter?
Hi Dave. I normally set the project to match the footage (or the majority footage if there is a mix). This helps to avoid too many conversions. Then I choose whatever output format I want when it comes to rendering the project.

Richard
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter View Post
Hi Dave. I normally set the project to match the footage (or the majority footage if there is a mix). This helps to avoid too many conversions. Then I choose whatever output format I want when it comes to rendering the project.

Richard
Thanks Richard.
Thats what i normally do as well. Seems to work.
Dave Pearce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...