What are your Vegas editing machine stats? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 6th, 2003, 05:04 AM   #31
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher Go : I have the same display as you do, Glenn. Its not one of the higher models unfortunately, but I think its alright for the price. How do you like yours?

Forgot to mention my speakers: a pair of Mackie HR626s

Sounds like a fun machine to build, Glenn. -->>>

I'm very happy with the E540 Sony I would love to have picked up the .22 dot-pitch Trinitron (forget the model #) but I didn't have the spare $1,200 laying around!
I was a bit upset recently when Maximum PC did a comparison of a bunch of 20"-21" montors under $600. Our E540 came in dead last....though I don't experience any of the problems (blurryness) that they report. And as a graphics professional I have pretty discerning eyes.

About your Mackie speakers- they look nice. As you see I went the 5.1 THX Gaming route. I wonder how much better a set of Makie studio monitors are compared to my Klipsch? Also do you need to use some sort of special sound card with them? Lastly are they shielded- can you have them close to your monitor?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2003, 05:45 AM   #32
Inner Circle

" I wonder how much better a set of Makie studio monitors are compared to my Klipsch? "

Much, dynamic range is much broader and freq range would really stand out. Alot more accurate when configuring EQ's for Surround projects as well...

Also do you need to use some sort of special sound card with them?
((soundcard, not really, but maybe a small mixer or amp dependng on teh model.
Some models of studio speakers come Powered or even include inbuilt EQ's. Depends on which ones you go for. Best thing to do is to go to a musicl instruemtn store and check outthe studio gear. This way your not flooded with stats, you can easily compare the same soounds with different configs.. Also studio mons arent cheap as theyre designed for production use, not listening. Sounds strange, but these types of speakers (monitors) are designed to bring out all the frequencies across a broad range, allowing an accurate reference for control during production. This is why theyre sensitivity is MUCH higher than a "listening" set of speaker which doesnt need to be as accurate.

Lastly are they shielded- can you have them close to your monitor?"
((Most of teh latest models are shielded. Again, i wouldnt jump for jsut any Monitor, as different environmetns will produce a different output. Experiment and do some research. This will save alot of heartache.

For my audio (not the video config here) im using a pair of Mackie HR824. Small tight and bloody beautiful!
The Berringer Truths are also a great (and cheaper) alternative at almost half teh price now of the mackie

Go here for a cool lil review of Monitors
http://www.creativemac.com/2002/10_oct/reviews/monitor_shootout.htm
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2003, 08:06 AM   #33
Miles J.

For Glen: Windows XP Pro Upgrade for $110 after rebates

Glen, you don't have top pay that much for an XP Pro upgrade. I just got the tip posted under subject from the excellent http://www.dealnews.com/, which I often check when I get to my PC in the morning.

FYI, http://www.techbargains.com/ and http://www.edealinfo.com/index.shtml have also helped me and a nonprofit organization I work for save litterally thousands of dollars.

Finally, I recommend one always checks an unknown online vendor at http://www.resellerratings.com/

I hope this helps.

Miles
Old August 8th, 2003, 01:46 PM   #34
Inner Circle

>>About your Mackie speakers- they look nice. As you see I went the 5.1 THX Gaming route. I wonder how much better a set of Makie studio monitors are compared to my Klipsch? Also do you need to use some sort of special sound card with them? Lastly are they shielded- can you have them close to your monitor?
<<
Glen, I have a pair of 626s also. The klipsch are designed to emphasize certain areas of the sound spectrum (highs and lows) that appeal to people playing music/movies and or games on a pc. The Mackies are desinged for completely accurate reproduction of sound. In fact you can use them to judge the audio quality of a CD. Poorly engineered CDs that sound good on enhance consumer speakers, sound awful on a set of studio monitors. This is important if you take the audio of your movie seriously.
If you use a pro sound setup when editing ,if it sounds good on your Mackies, then it will most likely sound good on consumer oriented systems. Mackies and other pro studio monitors are like studio video monitors, desinged to bring out all the warts so you can fix them before final output. Thats why most audio pros will tell you to avoid equipment that enhances or changes the sound in any way during the capture and editing process.

But if you have a nice Home theater, don't be afraid to use it. Those Mackies hr626s are going for 450.00 USD a piece right now.

bTW in my system I have both a creative audigy and an esi-pro waveterminal 192m for pro recording and mixing.

I may have to check out the berringers myself.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2003, 04:07 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
About your Mackie speakers- they look nice. As you see I went the 5.1 THX Gaming route. I wonder how much better a set of Mackie studio monitors are compared to my Klipsch? Also do you need to use some sort of special sound card with them? Lastly are they shielded- can you have them close to your monitor?
The Mackies accept 1/4 Phone, XLR, or RCA connections. Since I only have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, I had to purchase a Y-adapter to go from Phone to the plug on my consumer rated sound card. That was a limitation of Avid: Avid Xpress DV only officially supports consumer audio cards, presumably to keep the competition from their Protools products but this has been changed with their upcoming Avid Xpress Pro.

I'll be upgrading to a new sound card once Xpress Pro comes out but in the meantime I'm gonna try Vegas too.

Joe, how are your speakers connected? And where'd you find that $450 price? I bought the HR626s a few months after they were first released and they cost me $1100 total. I think the HR824s or HR624s might be $450 each?
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2003, 05:44 PM   #36
Inner Circle

I bougth them at Sam Ash locally. Search around on line. They are reguallarily priced at 450 a piece.
BTW, I meant 624, not 626. The 626 is a center speaker and goes for over 700.00
samash.com has them for 449.00 each.
Old August 17th, 2003, 10:25 PM   #37
Major Player

Thanks for that site, Joe. The Mackie HR626 goes for $749 for each speaker there. Although it makes a great center speaker, it can also pull monitoring duty as well. According to Mackie:

Quote:
The HR626 is the ideal monitor for those who need lots of bottom end, along with the low-level accuracy of the mid range for mixing and vocal placement. Thanks to its D’Appolito driver alignment design, the HR626 can be used in both vertical and horizontal positions. Placing the HR626 in a vertical position provides extremely accurate reference monitoring for mid-to large-sized studios.
See this page for the product page and where I obtained that quote.

The Mackie HR626s were apparently used to help Danetracks, the company responsible for sound on the Matrix trilogy: click here. In the picture on the lower right hand corner, you can see a pair of the HR626s sitting there if I'm not mistaken.

I apologize if this has gotten off-topic, but Vegas is supposed to have great audio capabilities. I'm anxious to try Vegas out for this reason. I also wanted speakers with more bass capabilities and so I opted for a pair of HR626s instead.

Wouldn't it be great to have a pair of HR824s, a center HR626, and one of Mackie's high-end subwoofers?
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2003, 03:36 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Just thought I would update.
I just purchased a system exclusively for media editing.
mobo Gigabyte 8KNXP
cpu PIV 2.8 HT
Intel 875p chipset
ram 2 gig 3200 this mobo has 6 memory slots.
on board Intel gigbit ethernet
on board ATA133 raid
On board Silicon Image and Intel SATA raid connections (up to 4).
lots of USB2 and firewire connections on board.
on board realtek audio with some sort of autosense tech that
figures out what you plugged into the sound ports. Supports surround sound if I want it to.
nvidia fx 5200 ultra with 128meg, it will be replaced with
an ATI Rage 9500 w 128 in the near future.

I will be adding addtional storage drives, planning up to
at least 600 gig if not more.

Near future is to get a laya24 audio card and add more studio monitors for surround mixing.

Anyone have opinions on the Behringer B2031 truth monitors? I heard they are as good as the Mackies, but less than half the price.
Old August 27th, 2003, 04:05 PM   #39
Trustee

I recently decided to go RAID with my setup, and figured it would be a great time to finally go XP Pro from my current Win2k setup. Then I convinced myself it would also be a good time to upgrade the CPU to the best my board could take.

So now I've got an Athlon 2400 (2Ghz). Overall the change isn't that drastic (though noticable at times for sure) from my 1.4Ghz Athlon, but it was such a cheap upgrade it was totally worth it. Something to think about if you want to squeeze more out of your system and are planning an OS re-install...

And the RAID... well my Gigabyte's built in RAID, though promising, gave me nothing but serious headaches due to it not liking my Geforce 2 MX vid card. So I ended up getting a PCI Highpoint ATA 100 RAID card and it's working swimmingly.

However, I find that my GeForce 2 doesn't like running in dual monitor mode too much now that I'm in XP Pro. Seems to work intermittently even though I have the lastest nVidia drivers. I'm ready to chuck it anyway since I've never like that card too much (Gainward)... what dual monitor vid cards are some of you using, and are you happy with them?

I'd like to get that new Matrox P750 which does the triple head but without the cost of the Parhelia. The thing that's always been great about Matrox is that their drivers are always oh so stable and they work amazingly well and with great stability for 2D applications. I don't think the P750 is readily available yet though.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 08:08 PM   #40
Major Player

I'm about to build an editing system on a low budget soon.

CPU – 2.4CGHz P4 HT
MB - MSI Neo2-LS 865PE (or Gigabyte GA-8PENXP – RAID, onboard IEE1394)
RAM – 2x256 MB PC3200 (DDR400)
HDD – OS, docs – IBM 40GB, 7200 rpm, 2MB
HDD video – Matrox 80 GB, 7200 rpm, 8MB
VGA – GeForce4 MX440 64MB, TV-out (or 128MB GeForce FX5200)
DVD-RW – Pioneer DVR-A06-J
OS – Windows XP Home (or Pro)
IEE 1394 board – Canopus DV Raptor RT Light

Sorry for the ignorance but do I really need Real Time IEE 1394 board for use with Vegas? I don’t see what Fire Wire cards others are using so recommendations are welcome!
Can I preview 2 pc monitors with the video cards listed above?
Is onboard sound sufficient?

Thanks in advance for the replay!
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Bogdan....
If you use the Gigabyte 8knxp you will have a Texas Instruments 1394 chip that is OHCI compliant. Vegas uses any OHCI compliant 1394 interface. Most people recommend the TI based chip.

I chose the Gigabyte because of reviews and all the onboard connections (true full duplex Gigabit Ethernet, firewire, usb2, 6 memory slots,raid...) that actually make it a pretty good bargain for a single chip mobo. Plus they have the dual power feature that protects all the components and a dual bios you can fall back to if you screw things up.

If you are referring to Canopus and their ACEDVio system, I don't know much about it, but if you need dv, plus analog to dv to analog capabilities, it sounds like a good bundle. And it looks like you get both the Vegas and Canopus codecs, but I'm not sure about that. Canopus has a deserved reputation for quality.

It that is what you want,you should try to see if you could get it for less from a third party retailer.
Old August 29th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #42
Regular Crew

System:
MSI NForce2 mobo
1.5GB PC2700 DDR 300 RAM
Athlon 2000+ (OC'ed and watercooled)

Drives:
250GB WD HD, 7200RPM (System drive)
160GB WD HD w/ 8mb cache, 7200RPM (Backup Drive)
2 x 120GB WD HD w/ 8mb cache, 7200RPM (Running on RAID 0+1)
2x 80GB WD HD, 8MB cache, 7200RPM (Running RAID 0+1 -- Dedicated Video)
40GB Maxtor 5200RPM Drive (Music/Docs/Files/Whatever)

Graphics:
ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9800Pro (Primary Monitor)
GeForceFX 5200 Ultra, PCI (2nd Monitor)
PNY GeForce2 MX (3rd Monitor)

Optical Drives:
Sony DRU-510A DVD Multi-Format Burner
Plextor Premium 52x CDR/RW Drive

winxp Pro SP1
Bryan Gateb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 11:45 AM   #43
Major Player

P4 2.4c ghz 800mhz fsb
Intel RockLake BoxD865PERL (awesome & stable all bells & whist.)
1gig crucial DDR 400
128meg DDR TI4200 Gforce4
60gig maxtor 7200
Pioneer A06
Aopen 7in1 card reader
Antec SBX 1040 400watt server (lots of room & runs cool)
AC97 sound (better than I thought)
XP Pro
VV3 soon to be 4
Photoshop7 (I love mixing stills with video)
19" 955DF Samsung (not the best but was 189 bucks)
Artic silver ceramique & standard fan/sink ( 39 degrees cent.)

The first time I rendered in Vegas 3 it didn't render everything, program started to print to tape without completing render. re-installed everything same thing, found out it was rendering everything, 22 minute wedding rehearsal rendered and started to print to tape in less than 5 minutes. I was shocked!! Admittedly it had few transitions or effects but still, I spent 2 hours reinstalling because I was sure something was wrong!!
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #44
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Bogdan Vaglarov : I'm about to build an editing system on a low budget soon.

CPU – 2.4CGHz P4 HT
MB - MSI Neo2-LS 865PE (or Gigabyte GA-8PENXP – RAID, onboard IEE1394)
RAM – 2x256 MB PC3200 (DDR400)
HDD – OS, docs – IBM 40GB, 7200 rpm, 2MB
HDD video – Matrox 80 GB, 7200 rpm, 8MB
VGA – GeForce4 MX440 64MB, TV-out (or 128MB GeForce FX5200)
DVD-RW – Pioneer DVR-A06-J
OS – Windows XP Home (or Pro)
IEE 1394 board – Canopus DV Raptor RT Light

Sorry for the ignorance but do I really need Real Time IEE 1394 board for use with Vegas? I don’t see what Fire Wire cards others are using so recommendations are welcome!
Can I preview 2 pc monitors with the video cards listed above?
Is onboard sound sufficient?

Thanks in advance for the replay! -->>>
Your motherboard has a built-in firewire port does it not? You would not need a firewire card then. Those RT boards don't work with Vegas.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 04:32 AM   #45
Major Player

Thanks for the replays, Joe and Chan.

This is what I needed to know. I knew that Vegas is doing different way of real time (software with slightly lower quality while previewing). But the new real time boards all use scalable technology (they grow as the processor power grows) so in fact they are kind of software too.
A bit ugly explanation but corect me if it's not true.

Joe, Gigabyte GA-8PENXP is identiacal to GA-8KNXP in everything exept the chipset (865PE vs. 875). In toms hardware recent review it even performs slightly better for video encoding but the advantage is only the lower price.

I still wonder how do you get 2 PC monitors working together with TV monitor. Usually video boards have just one connector - do you need 2 video cards (like Bryan Gateb's setup for example)?

Cheers, Bogdan
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...