2 and 3 point editing with Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 29th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #1
Major Player

2 and 3 point editing with Vegas?

In all the tutorials I've seen so far on Vegas 8, I haven't seen how to work with marking in & out points, or more, marking an in, out and timeline in or out point to do 3 point edits. Vegas seems to be a timeline editing tool. Is there, or can u effectively set in and out points in the viewer and do timeline insert or overwrite type edits? I need a frame accurate way to identify my edit points.

thx
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

You can mark in/out points on the timeline and an in or out point in the trimmer and it will put the video starting or ending at the selected point in the trimmer to fill the area on the timeline. Steps:

1. Create a selection area on the timeline.
2. Open the other clip in the trimmer
3. Put the cursor on either the beginning or ending point of the clip
4. Press "A" to fill the area on the timeline starting FROM the cursor position, press "SHIFT-A" to fill the area on the timeline ENDING with the cursor position.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Edward's explanation covers an in/out on the timeline and an in on the new footage.

The other case, in on the timeline and in/out on new footage is also possible by selecting a portion of the timeline footage and pressing the "a" key.

Vegas' two working styles, with and without the trimmer, suit me very well. For a project with long takes I choose the pref that loads a double-clicked file onto the timeline at the cursor position. For cutting b-roll and other short takes, the option that loads the file to the trimmer.

Options | Preferences | General | Double click on media file loads into trimmer instead of tracks.

Although you can cut an entire production without it, the trimmer is a very powerful tool that not only enables 3-point editing but also allows the creation of sub-clips.

Other cool tools for the power-editor such as edge trims, slip trimming, etc. will be found on the numpad - a close review of the numpad section of the keyboard shortcuts in the manual or the keyboard editing section of the online help is very rewarding.

Last edited by Seth Bloombaum; June 30th, 2008 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typos...
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Major Player

yes, this is the more conventional stuff I was looking for. Vegas seems like a fantastic tool with so many idea generators within easy reach. I want to be sure conventional style editing can be done as well.
thx
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #5

There is a 3/4 point editing tutorial somewhere on the VASST site, with rolling edits, slip/slide edits, 10key editing, etc. Similar information in the Vegas Pro 8 book.
Between the Trimmer and 10 key, you can learn to cut incredibly fast in Vegas, particularly if you're cutting broadcast packages.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm going to jump

Climbed the ladder, on the end of the board, looking down at the water. Seems deep enough and no sharks looking up at me.
I'm going to buy a copy.

Thx to all for the input
David Morgan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...