Full motion menus? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 6th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Full motion menus?

What does full motion menus capability in DVDA 5 refer to? I looked through the manual, and in the "what's new" documentation and couldn't find anything on it....I had hoped it meant animated menus...such as having menu buttons and /or images etc fly in or reposition themselves...etc.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; July 7th, 2008 at 12:11 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
What does full motion menus capability in DVDA 5 refer to? I looked through the manual, and in the "what's new" documentation and couldn't find anything on it....I had hoped it meant animated menus...such as having menu buttons and /or images etc fly in or reposition themselves...etc.
I think it means that you can use video footage as a menu background, not that the position / shape of the menu items can actually be a movie itself...... but since I've never looked into it that much, consider that my stab in the dark.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Well Jason, since DVDA has done that for a long time already, I hope that isn't what they're talking about...but I don't know either...

Edit:

I've answered my own question....I forgot that Sony often advertises as "new" some features that pre-existed in Vegas or DVDA...full-motion menus is just another example of that, I believe.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; July 7th, 2008 at 08:20 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
I think it means that you can use video footage as a menu background, .
You have been able to do that for quite some time.
Old July 7th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
I had hoped it meant animated menus...such as having menu buttons and /or images etc fly in or reposition themselves...etc.
This is something I would love to have in DVDA 6, as DVDA authored disks are left looking very amateurish when compared with the like of Apples video studio DVD authoring software, simply for the lack of this one feature.

Last edited by Edward Troxel; July 8th, 2008 at 06:49 AM.
Thomas Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

You can build animated menus that work in DVDA but all the legwork is up to you. Yes, I think something a bit more professional in the template arena as opposed to the cheesy templates now in DVDA.

The VASST Advanced DVDA dvd shows some of what can be done and imported into DVDA.

mike
Michael Chenoweth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Chenoweth View Post
You can build animated menus that work in DVDA but all the legwork is up to you. Yes, I think something a bit more professional in the template arena as opposed to the cheesy templates now in DVDA.

The VASST Advanced DVDA dvd shows some of what can be done and imported into DVDA.

mike
I have not tried doing this yet but when I make my DVDs as well as using button selection on the DVD. I have a play all option, If I include the rendered with transition png file that were copied from DVDA clip board and rendered to an Avi file as advised in the Vasst training DVD, will these transition clips not play back as the film is being viewed or is there a way around this, I think these clips appearing at marker points would be very distracting.
Thomas Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Chenoweth View Post
Michael, you are indeed correct....because of your comment I reviewed my DVDA training DVD (the one you reference) and a lot CAN be done, that I didn't know about. I need to watch that thing all the way through!

My desire for nice 3-d templates etc with DVDA is purely based on my personal situation. I am competing with larger studios who have college kids editing on FCP studio with motion, and I just can't compete, the effects and style with their DVD menus are truly amazing, I've mentioned this in previous posts, and I don't mean to sound like a commercial for FCP.

I do understand though that the creativity I see on those DVDs are not actually performed by the programs the kids use, but by the kids. In the end it really does come down to the artist, or editor, if you like. I know this, but with as many small guys like me that use Vegas and DVDA, some new DVD templates that are cutting edge would bring new users to Vegas in droves. Can you imagine? There are so many wedding and corporate videographers like me that just don't have the time to learn and use AE, etc., and are busy just getting the work out...

I got slightly irritated when I installed Nero 8 and their extra templates included a few pretty darn nice 3-d templates, AE style stuff. Mostly cheesy, and not usable by me, but when I saw what can be done with a template, I couldn't help but wonder why DVDA couldn't have some customizable 3-d templates also. With Sony's already well-written rock-solid underlying program, I wonder if they couldn't put a real hurtin' on competitors by getting more creative.

What is additionally frustrating is that you can buy templates for Premier, Final Cut, AE, but not Vegas...and that kills me.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...