External monitor via IEEE..... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 29th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #1
Wrangler

External monitor via IEEE.....

Does anyone edit using the preview on external monitor feature in vegas? If so how do you do it- do you leave your camera connected via IEEE and to the TV/NTSC monitor the whole time your editing or do you only do it when you doing color corrections and/or checking layout of text?
Also does the quality set in the preview window in Vegas carry over to the external monitor preview- in other words, say, if you have "draft-auto" set will the video preview to the monitor in "draft" quality. If so, I'd assume it's imperitive to change it to "full quality"...
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 10:57 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes, I almost ALWAYS use the external monitor (unless I'm on my laptop). In my case, the main computer I edit on is directly connected to a DV Deck which is connected to a TV & rack of VCRs. So, I just leave the deck and TV on and view on the external monitor. When I'm done editing, I turn off the deck and TV (hardly ever turn off the computer - just its monitor)

Yes, the quality setting also affects the external monitor on CHANGED sections (i.e. if it says "recompressed"). I leave mine on Preview (Auto). If your computer is fast enough, you may be able to get by with a higher setting. You may want to try Good (Full) instead
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 12:06 PM   #3
Wrangler

Isn't the major point of using an external monitor to get accurate color correction- how could this be done if the picture isn't displaying to the fullest quality?

So when you say you always leave your computer connected to a TV via a DV deck do you edit the whole time only using your TV to monitor or do you switch back and forth between the onscreen vegas monitor and the external TV when need be?
Old July 29th, 2003, 12:21 PM   #4

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Isn't the major point of using an external monitor to get accurate color correction- how could this be done if the picture isn't displaying to the fullest quality?

So when you say you always leave your computer connected to a TV via a DV deck do you edit the whole time only using your TV to monitor or do you switch back and forth between the onscreen vegas monitor and the external TV when need be? -->>>

If I need to see a higher quality, I'll bump it up briefly. However, "Preview" seems to work fine for me 99% of the time.

Yes, I edit the whole time on the TV. I only switch to the computer screen if:
1) I need to take a snapshot
2) I need to "pick" a color
3) I need to use the deck to dub a tape while editing

That way I also don't have to worry about safe areas - I use an actual TV to determine the safe areas.
Old July 29th, 2003, 12:43 PM   #5
Wrangler

How do you monitor your audio- through the TV?

This may be opening up a whole other subject but what are your feelings regarding use of a TV vs a professional NTSC monitor? Is it really worth the money to go with the latter?
Old July 29th, 2003, 12:55 PM   #6

Audio still goes through the computer speakers. The TV only shows video. I just use a standard TV. I'm sure a true "monitor" would be better.
Old August 26th, 2003, 01:37 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I tried the external monitor thing last night its pretty cool. Only thing is that the video is kind of choppy and I didn't have any effects going etc...is this normal. If this is common than I can only really see the external monitor thing useful for color/safe areas etcs, I couldn't get any sense of timing because the video was so choppy...it wasnt' choppy when played in the preview window on the the computer monitor.

It might not be normal though because someone up there said they only edit on the tv.
Jake McMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 09:51 AM   #8

A few things to check. First of all, what setting do you have your preview on? I leave mine on Preview Auto which seems to work great. I can get a full 29.97 on unaltered video on my PIII 750MHz. The only time I get stutters on unaltered video is when the screen refreshes.

Also, look below the preview window and see what framerate is indicated.

Finally, make sure your drives are up to speed and verify DMA is ON.
Old August 26th, 2003, 09:52 AM   #9
Wrangler

Check to make sure all your opacity settings in the video track headers are at 100%. I had the same problem and couldn't figure out why a piece of footage was playing choppy despite the fact it was untouched by filters etc. I noticed the opacity of that track was at 99%, I might have accidentaly clicked it when highlighting that track. Needless to say I just bumped it up to 100% and it ran fine again.
Old August 26th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #10

Yep, that will do it too. It's always the first thing I check when I notice the problem knowing how it SHOULD look. Good call, Glen.
Old August 26th, 2003, 05:28 PM   #11
Regular Crew

The opacity was at 100% but in some places I put a crossfade. I expect it to be choppy in those places but the whole thing is choppy and the audio is out of sync.

What do you mean by drives, like hard drives or drivers? what does DMA stand for?

Does have anything to do with what applications I might have running in the background?
Old August 26th, 2003, 09:58 PM   #12

Yes - the hard drives. DMA MUST be on or you will get the symptoms you are describing.
Old August 26th, 2003, 10:14 PM   #13
Trustee

Glen,

There are a number of reasons for using a TV/broadcast monitor. One as you mentioned is checking colours as the low res of a TV produces different colours to a computer monitor. Another is to check the action safe areas. Your preview window displays 100% of the video frame, which is why you sometimes see black lines at the top or bottom of the frame depending on what camera you use. A TV only usually displays around 85-90% of the frame and is called underscan. Broadcast monitors can switch between underscan/overscan to allow preview of both. A perfect setup would be to have both a consumer TV and a broascast monitor as what looks good on the computer monitor and the 500 line res broadcast monitor could look terrible on a consumer TV. This is also useful for checking your audio as what sounds great on your Harmon Kardon or Bose studio monitors could sound like bad on TV speakers.

Jake,

Is your project deinterlaced or progressive? If so this could be the reason for the jittering/jerkyness on your TV. As for the audio being out of sync, check your project settings and make sure they are the same (PAL/NTSC/frame rate) as your raw footage
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 11:35 PM   #14
Regular Crew

dma I don't know what that is. It was shot in 24p by a dvx100 so maybe thats why as the pulldown hasn't been inserted yet. but 24p isn't jerky in the vegas window but only on the external monitor.

I'm also mixing some 24p and 60i footage. How does one go about this as far as the properties go. Do I have to keep 60i and 24p in seperate projects until the final render? Just so you know this was for a wedding. The 24p was used during the day etc then I switched to 60i when it got dark.
Old August 26th, 2003, 11:37 PM   #15
Regular Crew

how much should I expect to pay for a decent monitor. My budget is pretty low. I saw a toshiba 13"/450 lines/s-video for 250, and the same thing but 19" for 350 at BH.
Jake McMurray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...