Vegas Pro 8.0c ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 18th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas Pro 8.0c ?

So, any news on Vegas Pro 8.0c ? I thought it was coming by the end of june...
Robin Lobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

The latest press releases say "Summer".
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
The latest press releases say "Summer".

The little voice in my mind says August. Hmmm, I wonder if the little voice is correct this time?

Anyway, it most likely won't be available until after the current beta test they have at the whatever you call it forum.

Hey, I am not a morning person. Grin and LOL!

Danny Fye
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #4

danny...

the "beta" test was a public release of a beta .dll to fix the red frame/dropped frame problem with m2t files. it only took sony 1.5 years to address this issue. when I first complained about this via tech support, they told me the problem was with my camera. ha! I've lost all faith in those guys.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
danny...

the "beta" test was a public release of a beta .dll to fix the red frame/dropped frame problem with m2t files. it only took sony 1.5 years to address this issue. when I first complained about this via tech support, they told me the problem was with my camera. ha! I've lost all faith in those guys.
I understand where you are coming from on this subject, however, this is one of those 'dog' type problems that are very difficult to troubleshoot.

On my old system I had the black frames at randon locations at times. I did a this and a that and they would go away and sometimes come back again.

To be able to troubleshoot a problem they have to be able to duplicate it. This was extremely hard to do because of how it would vary with different systems and settings.

Probably the main reason why they finally tackled this problem is because of the many reports of it.

Still, narrowing it down was difficult to do because it was so elusive and hard to duplicate.

There are many bugs that can happen with any NLE. Most of them can be duplicated on their systems and a solution can be found. It's these 'dog' type problems that gives everyone a pain.

I used to work on televisions and once in a while a 'dog' problem would come in. Customer says that it does something weird. Brings it in and all is fine. All a tech could do is 'cook' the thing and HOPE the problem would show-up. Note: H-O-P-E!!! Sometimes it would and too many times it would not.

As for their reply to you, they were going by what was most likely the cause of the problem and what would be the first place to look when it comes to troubleshooting. They meant no negatives towards you.

So please understand that they were dealing with a difficult 'dog' type problem and they are doing their best to solve it.

It may take them a while at times but I still have 100% faith in them.

Danny Fye
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old July 20th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fye View Post
It may take them a while at times but I still have 100% faith in them.
Well Danny, I think Sony isn't afraid to at least approach the problem with a "good faith" effort to fix it. I've been following Vegas since version 4.0 and compared to Adobe... there's no comparison as to the bug fixes and patches I've seen that come from Sony (and "do not" come from Adobe).

And I certainly can't blame any developer for not being able to fix something they couldn't replicate themselves.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #7

with the number of people that have had this problem, and the consistency of the failure mode, I find it hard to beleive the problem was that hard to isolate and identify.

Cineform, for example, has worked reliably with m2t files from the start...never a hiccup. I have to ask, if Cineform can do it, why can't a heavy-weight like sony?

Combine that with Sony's closed mouth policy, they can't even say, "hey guys, we're working on it", and my support for sony has definitely waned. It's pretty clear, at least to me, where sony's customer satisfaction priorities lie. It's called profit.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #8
Major Player

I dont want to start yet another whinge at Sony and vegas but i sympathise with Bills post. Take my case, I have recently got into video editing, so what i want is a reliable system but I have posted to Sony forum the fact that vegas will crash on my bog-standard system without even leaving an error message.....woosh just disappears off the screen. I cant replicate it, thats the problem, but its so frustrating. It could be any combination of my set-up thats doing it, or maybe a dodgy m2t track, I dont know. We simply have to accept that Vegas is built on an open platform with a myriad of combinations of hardware and drivers possible any of which could cause it issues incl. its own code. I'm learning that I will have to live with it, (I do like Vegas) but it is influencing my next upgrade and purchase to another product.
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Cineform, for example, has worked reliably with m2t files from the start...never a hiccup. I have to ask, if Cineform can do it, why can't a heavy-weight like sony?
Cineform is converting the *.m2t files. It does not put the files on the timeline and directly edit them. It is not an NLE.

There is no comparison between what Cineform does and what Vegas does.

Sony is working on a 'dog' problem. One that is dificult for any company to solve. One that one person has and another person does not have. One that varies for those who have it. There is a reason why they ask for system configurations on the Sony forum.

Anyway, consider the fact that they are trying to solve this and other problems.

Danny Fye
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old July 20th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #10

I would have to disagree, Danny. The problem with m2t and vegas wasn't the inability to EDIT m2t files, it was the utter inability to READ the file in the first place. The comparison is that Cineform could read m2t, errorfree, and sony could not. sony turned their back on all users who were not using sony cameras. plain, simple, and infuriating.

to this very day, sony vegas cannot even read their own files from their EX1 camera without using an external clip browser. Grass Valley Edius can drag and drop native EX1 files directly into their file bin without a problem. Something is funky in sonyland.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...