DVD architect 4.0 burn problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD architect 4.0 burn problem

I'm trying to burn a video with DVD architect. I did the rendering and re-compressing successfully without any issues. Everything is ready to be burned... but for some reason when I try to burn the video, it doesn't do anything. I don't get any error messages or anything. It says it's burning, but the time just keeps running without any progress happening on the status bar. It's almost as if the program stalled out.. but it hasn't.

After over an hour of no progress, I shut down and did a restart... and then re-rendered and tried it all over again, and I'm getting the same thing. Time running but no progress. It can't possibly take that long to burn a DVD in architect, can it??

Anyone have any idea what's happening here??
Stephen Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Well, I guess maybe it does take that long. After 3 hrs it's finally at 2% done. Says the time remaining is 82 hrs and rising. This is crazy.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Better give more info about size of project, what it is being rendered from, etc.

Is it possilble your burner is one type of DVD only, and you are using other ? (= or -)/
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The file size of the video is 4.6gig. The video was already rendered. In the architect menu, I did the "prepare project" option... which didn't take long at all. Then I select the burn option (which I assume is just supposed to burn it on disk) and I get this 80hr nonsense.

I've burned plenty of DVDs before on this drive... with the same type of disks I'm using now and I've never had a problem like this. This is my 1st time trying to burn through architect though.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Worst case (burning at 1x), it shouldn't take but a couple of hours at the very most.

However, did it have to recompress the whole video and maybe THAT is what's taking the time? 4.6Gig is too large to fit on a DVD. The max is about 4.37 Gig (Yeah, I know the label says 4.7) plus you need to allow some room for the menu. Perhaps a lot of the time it being taken up with recompression instead of burning?

Otherwise, I would recommend PREPARING in DVD Architect and the BURNING with something else.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Regular Crew

It supposedly recompressed the video during the preparation process. It took about 30mins to do that. If it is recompressing the whole video again for the burn process... I certainly didn't see any notification that said it was. And even then, it shouldn't take 80hrs to recompress it. Any recommendations on what software I could use as an alternative for burning?
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:48 PM   #7

First of all, render the video from Vegas using a lower bitrate so it doesn't have to recompress in DVD Architect during prepare.

As for burning, many use Nero or Record Now for that process. Just point it to the folder created by DVD Architect that contains the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:36 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I think it's a problem with architect. I burned the files without architect in 15mins. I don't know what architect's problem is. Needless to say, I won't be using it to burn dvds anymore.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:28 PM   #9

DVD Architect is more limited in the drives it supports than the dedicated burning programs. There are many people who prepare with DVD Architect and burn elsewhere. I'm happy that DVD Architect has always burned well for me.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:40 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hate to be a broken record, but I think Architect 5 is a free download, and since you may have a somekind of corruption going on, why not try 5.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...pdates/dvdapro
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM   #11

DVD Architect 5 is a free update for DVD Architect 4.5 which comes with Vegas Pro 8. It is NOT a free update for any "Movie Studio" versions. The primary addition is the ability to author Blu-ray discs.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...