Pan/Crop and Effects Buttons Disappeared at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:55 AM   #1
New Boot

Pan/Crop and Effects Buttons Disappeared

Vegas 8.

I loaded a veg that I have been working on all week and the Pan/Crop button and the Event Effects button are gone on all of the clips on the timeline.

Rebooted, re-loaded the veg, same. Loaded another veg, same.

Is there any way I could have accidentally turned these buttons off?
Rick Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Don't know of a way to turn them off. Did you try zooming in on the clips? (I believe the up-arrow key while the timeline has the focus is one method to zoom.)

If you right-click on the clips, are those options available on the context menu that appears?
Andrew Kufahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Trustee

It might be that the SIZE of the clip (using the + - on the right hand side) is too small. Clip on the + a few times and it will make the clip big enough to fix the FX, Media Generator and Pan/Crop icons
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 04:03 PM   #4
New Boot

Size Matters?

No, the size of the clips is not an issue. I have zoomed in to the point that a single track takes up the entire timeline, still, no buttons.

Of course, there are other ways to get to the pan/crop and effects, like through the menus, but it's just a pain, especially on the last day of a project.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Major Player

There's a toggle for those things under the "View" menu:

View --> Event Buttons

Ctrl+Shift+C

They're most likely toggled off.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 05:01 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks!

Rick Steele, you are the man!

That is exactly what the problem was. I suspect at some point I reached for "ctrl-c" to copy something and inadvertently whacked the "shift" key at the same time. All is well now.

Well, mostly. If all my other antique equipment holds together until I can get 5 more DVDs burned, then I'm on vacation!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:38 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Just for the sake of completeness . . .

Glad you found the solution.

One other thing it could have been (for others reading this thread) is that any long fade offset envelope on a clip may have obscured the icons.

In this screenshot, the clip on the left shows the icons but the clip on the right has a fade offset envelope that is larger (in proportion to the clip), thus causing the icons to be hidden.

As Andrew suggested, right clicking the clip should then present you with the options for pan/crop and event fx (and generated media properties, where appropriate).
Attached Images

Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...