Switching back to Vegas 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:55 AM   #1
Trustee

Switching back to Vegas 7

I'm so frustrated with Vegas 8's disappearing act when I try to open files, that I'm considering going back to Vegas 7, at least temporarily. I will return to V8 once the problems are solved. I've wasted way too many hours of frustration. Very dissapointing.

I cannot understand why any prgram needs to crash and completely dissapear from the screen simply because of a perceived error in a data file. Imagine if Word crashed because I spelled Vegas wrong. :(

I was wondering if anyone has gone back to Vegas 7? I'm editng HDV and also just bought a An Aiptek Action 1080p as a toy. Great deal for $200 BTW.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I had Vegas 7 do the same disappearing act. I'm staying with Vegas 8 for any number of reasons.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:45 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Paul, did you try using the updated DLL referenced in another post here? That may help.

As for going back, you can't save as a "Vegas 7" version and Vegas 7 can't open a Vegas 8 file. So going back would be a difficult process.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Trustee

I tried it. I'm at a loss at this point.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:57 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
I tried it. I'm at a loss at this point.
It may take a long time, and be a big hassle, but you could do a system wipe (fresh OS install) and put vegas on first. Obviously this is only if the problem is driving you completely crazy.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM   #6
Trustee

Funny you mentioned that as I am in the process of doing just that. I figure it's my last and final hope. It was a new computer so I didn't have a lot installed as of yet.

Any chance this is a hardware related thing? I uninstalled my video card just in case (Quadro FX1500) but NG. Memory?

Any correlation between having Vegas 7 installed prior to 8?

I love Vegas, but this is too much.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:18 PM   #7
Wrangler

Paul are there specific files it closes down on? Had similar problems with Cineform when Vegas 8 first came out. Re-installed both and that cleared the problem on my system.
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #8
Trustee

I reinstalled the original Windows XP SP2 Edition, without any other updates or service packs. Then, I installed Vegas 8. I'l do a little testing today and then add the updates. I'll report back.

Michael, the problem seemed to happen no matter which file(s) I tried to place on the timeline.
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
I reinstalled the original Windows XP SP2 Edition, without any other updates or service packs. Then, I installed Vegas 8. I'l do a little testing today and then add the updates. I'll report back.
I'll never go back to 7
please install SP3 + critical updates, and do your testing, works perfect on XP Pro SP3
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #10
Trustee

I'm cured!

Well, sort of. I did the dirty deed and reformated the hard drive and put a fresh XP install on it. This was an SP2 version of XP.

Next, I installed Vegas 8.0B and tested. OK, no problems except with certain files. I believe they were Cinform as I use NEO 3. Once I installed NEO, there were no more crashes. Thanks Michael W for putting me on the right track.

Then I updated all hardware drivers and retested Vegas. Again, OK.

Finally, I ran the SP3 update.

Conclusion:

Vegas has a bad habit of choking on it's food. Sony needs to put a checkpoint in so that if it gets fed a file it doesn't like, it issues an error message rather than instantly dissapearing from the screen.

I love Vegas, but I just wasted two days on this problem.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...