Simulating a whip pan? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 24th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Trustee

Simulating a whip pan?

I am trying to simulate a post-whip pan. ie; the camera whip around quickly from one scene to another creating a blur/blog of scenery etc as it goes.
I tried some linear blurs but they don't seem to do it. Anyone have luck in achieving this?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

This is off the top of my head as I'm not at my desk.

NewBlueFX have some very effective and very reasonably priced packs of transitions, including a roll transition that I used for just that purpose. You can tweak a number of parameters for the roll but I'm afraid you'll have to check out their website to see which ones. www.newbluefx.com I think. I'm a big fan of their products and of the people there.

Sorry I can't come up with anything using just the Vegas fx. I'd have thought a combination of a blur and a push transition might get you close. Again, don't have Vegas in front of me so this is just a random thought.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks for the thought. I will try out the push and see. If you come up with any other ideas, please let me know!
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #4
Trustee

David, I don't use Vegas (I'm on AVID), but a push/blur combo should do it.

Apply a push transition between your clips. On the video layer above the transition, apply a blur for the lenth of the transition. Keyframe the blur to be 0 at beginning and end of transition, and some more blurry level in the middle.

Should look good if this kind of thing is possible on Vegas.
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #5
Tourist

Whip pan

Rather than beat this up in Vegas, why not just go out and shoot a swish pan? Try to find at least a similar environment as your original footage. Be sure to zoom in (doesn't work well as wide angle) then do a couple of spins. Go right, then left. Various focal lengths. You should be covered for any eventuality. Good luck.
James Eaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #6
Old Boot

You reminded me that I did this for a London client and added some whoosh stinger/sounds great fun!

OK.

What you've asked is a great question - and that is how do I do something? When I do this myself I start off with analysing just WHAT I want to achieve and what tools I have to do it.

So what I would want to achieve is to bring in some motion blur that would simulate the distortion of the image as I Pan from left to right or from right to left. I have the Pan, but I haven't the distortion .. Hmmm... Now what would give me distortion(you've tried linear blur - good start!)? I want distortion only along the axis of the Pan - and pan suggests left<>right<>left<>right and this forces me to think only in the X-axis - not Up and Down - that would be a tilt - yes? So, what gives me distort in ONLY the X-axis? What tools give me distortion in the X-axis? Ah! Gaussian Blur [GB] allows for blur in either Y- or the X-axis.

That's the clue . ..

OK, the trick here is to play and re-play the movement WHILE in motion and alter the GB with maximum Horizontal Blur. Sharply move the X-axis ("Horizontal range") within the first 5 frames and then accelerate the effect towards the middle of the Pan.

I now get horizontal "striations" of the image synced to the pan. I've just done this and if you want the veg you are welcome.

Finally, analysing a wished for outcome and knowing the tools is what we are all trying to attain.

Vegas has much MUCH going for it - but she is also a shy mistress . . .

Great question!!

Grazie

Last edited by Graham Bernard; July 26th, 2008 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Corrected my own acronym. Should've been GB for Gaussian Blur.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...