Vegas/architect Demo limitations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 25th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Vegas/architect Demo limitations

I'm about to reinstall my OS due to a bad drive, and I might have used up all of my activations of Vegas and Architect. Since I can't contact Sony till Monday in the event that I need to get their help, wondering if I can work unfettered with the Demo versions if needed...anyone know what kind of limitations come with the Demos? I need to render out projects and burn them on fully functional DVDs with menus...any thoughts?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'd try an online registration and hope for the best.
As I recall (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), the demo won't let you do MPEG encodes so you'd be up the creek for burning DVDs until Monday if you can't register them :-(
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Wrangler

As far as I know, Sony doesn't stress over the activations. Just install, enter the serial #, and register online. Is there another process you're using? I've re-installed my main computer about 3 times over it's lifetime, I don't remember having to do anything special with the Sony products.
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You just install and put in the key. No problems at all.
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I've used up my activation limits twice already. Sony is really great about renewing them, but the last time they weren't quite as friendly....

I've reinstalled at least ten times...been changing OS and hard drives, etc., been a terrible month. Finally found the bad hard drive in my raid array....I'm reinstalled, now to try Vegas...I need to work this weekend so hopefully it will go through...we'll see.
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #6
Major Player

The activation history for a given license is maintained on Sony's server(s) rather than your hard drive. Hence, there isn't any information stored on the hard drive that will get removed. Once you reach a certain number of activations, you have to contact Sony and they will enable additional activations. I have Vegas installed on a couple of laptops and my main desktop. On the desktop, it is on four different partitions. I recently installed it on a new Vista 64 partition and I got the message stating I had to contact Sony. The only problem is that by time I get home from my day job, their lines are closed so I haven't gotten around to it yet.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Miller View Post
Once you reach a certain number of activations, you have to contact Sony and they will enable additional activations.

This is what I'm saying, I've had to call them twice already. Not sure that I said anything about information being on hard drive, unless I misunderstood your response.

Thanks everyone.
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #8
Major Player

Oh.

It seemed you were saying that you were going to reformat your system and then reinstall Vegas thereby removing any registration info.

I was also providing clarity of the process to others reading the thread.

Sorry to confuse...
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Thank you John, I am not always as clear as I should be...I meant that by reinstalling OS, etc, I knew I would have to re-activate, and there are limited number of activiations. It worked this time...BTW...surpising since I've re-activated at least five time since the last call to Sony.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...