Multi-camera editing, Excalibur questions... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 4th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Multi-camera editing, Excalibur questions...

Hello all, I am about to shoot a six or more multi-camera production, and as I am used to 3-4 I am wondering the best way to get the most fluid playback for editing? I use both Vegas 8 and Excalibur (Thanks Mr. Troxel) I am assuming that syncing all of the cameras in Excalibur and rendering out the timeline would be best? I noticed that when I do a selective prerender in Vegas, I loose it as soon as I make my first edit.

Any thoughts, and thanks,

Chuck Pullen
Chuck Pullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

My advice is to manually sync the cameras. Then run the sync tool WITHOUT adding any markers to the timeline. That will create the PIP view without moving the clips. Before pressing "Sync", make sure you check the "Render PIP View" box. This will then render the PIP view and properly place it so that it will be above the original tracks and below the tally track. It defaults to NTSC DV so you may need to change the render format.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Mr. Troxel, thanks for the answer. I think we're on the same page about the multicamera syncing, but I do have a question. The last time I did a multi-cam project using Excalibur I seem to remember having an issue where when I synced manually (It seems easiest for me to do it that way) I thought I had to shift each camera a frame over so I can put all of the camera markers in (I.E. Camera 1 at 1:00;00, Camera 2 at 1:00;01, Camera 3 at 1:00;02) Is there an easier way to do that?

Also, as you mentioned, what will I want to change the render format to?

Thanks again,

Excalibur is the best!
Chuck Pullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

You do not need any sync markers to run the sync tool. If you do not have any sync markers on the timeline when you run the sync tool, the events will NOT be moved. So...

1. Add the camera angles to the timeline
2. Get them in sync
3. run the Sync tool checking the "render" box which will create the PIP view and render it out
4. Add the camera switches
5. run the Multicam tool
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'll have to try that...Thanks again Mr. Troxel.
Chuck Pullen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...