sony PDW-700 with vegas 8? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 9th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

sony PDW-700 with vegas 8?

Hello all. I am currently a very happy F350L owner editing with Sony Vegas 8. Really nice work flow. However, I am thinking about upgrading to a sony PDW 700, but would I be able to edit the 50mpbs footage with Vegas 8. I think Vegas 8 can only go up to 35mpbs. If anyone could advise I would be very grateful, esp on how I could bring the footage into my pc.
Thanks again

Sparky
www.sparkymedia.net
Mark McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #2

No worries, mate...bring it in.
Already doing this on one project downconverted from HDCAM
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 02:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Douglas
Thanks for takig the time to reply. I'm not sure what you mean. When you bring the PDW-700 footage into Vegas what format are the files? How are you bringing in the footage?
Thanks
Sparky
Mark McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #4
Tourist

Vegas 8 and XDCAM

Hi,
Vegas 8.0b wont work with the new XDCAM HD 4:2:2 format, it wont work until 8.0c is released at IBC (I'm told). I was very disappointed when i got my new PDW700 only to find out that Vegas doesn't support it. The codecs aren't in Vegas 8.0b. I'm told the software is ready to go but until he offical release too bad.

I think the file format is MXF, I can get the Sony software to load it onto the drives and view it, i just can't edit with it!! Don't use the discs that ship with the PDW700 or U1, these are out of date and don't work. You'll need to download the new drivers and software from Sony.

Sony were happy to sell me a camera and U1 reader but i can't do ANYTHING with the vision unless i go to FCP or capture everything at realtime through HDSDI. The downside that the files captured through HDSDI are massive.

I thought Sony might be more helpful to their loyal customers.

Kind regards,
Scott
Scott Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #5

it's a significant mistake to connect Sony Creative Software and Sony Broadcast. Sony Broadcast in Japan barely acknowledges their software brothers. Sony USA barely recognizes Sony Creative.
Sad, but that's how umbrella corporations usually are.
There have been MANY situations where I've known more about what cameras and formats are in the hopper than the Creative Software people do....
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 04:51 AM   #6
Tourist

Final Cut Pro got their act together.

Final Cut Pro managed to get their act together, you think Sony could have released the upgrade, I'm told it is ready to go. Sony Creative are waiting for IBC to release it, too bad for the end users waiting to edit.
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:16 AM   #7

in the same vein as what I wrote earlier...You'd probably have a difficult time believing that Apple would have rec'd the SDK before Sony Creative, but you can bet that's the case.
There was a time a few years back that I saw a camera in the Apple offices that Sony Creative hadn't seen yet.
Huge degrees of separation between Sony Electronics, Sony Medical, Sony Broadcast, Sony Creative, etc. Sad, but true (of most any umbrella corp)
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...