I'm looking to get the basics of HDV editing. Please help... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 14th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Hi Adi,

The slight additional pixels on either side will likely not matter a bit due to overscan, but if you are concerned, after you have edited the project, save the .veg file, import the veg into a new project, then use Track Motion and adjust the width and height of the project.

That should remove the few pixels on either side and dress up the video.

I do have one more suggestion. Make the field order upper field first and when you render out to DVD MPEG2 for DVD, make that upper field first, too.

I'm glad everything is working for you.

My best.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
I'm looking to get the basics of HDV editing. Please help...-trackmotion1.jpg  
Attached Images

Old September 14th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #17
Major Player

Thank you once again Mike!

If you or (anyone else reading through this thread) think you can shed some light on questions 1 and 3 from my previous post, I'd appreciate it very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi Head View Post
I've got three questions:

1. Sorry, I'm still not getting it )-: Can you please run by the advantages/disadvantages of using the method you suggest vs. editing in PAL 1080-50i (1440x1080) and then rendering to MPEG2 for authoring DVD? I think what I don't understand is what exactly happens when I import HDV into a project set to DV? Also I'm confused as to why I would want to do this if the final render is to MPEG2 in both cases?

2. Regardless, I tried your suggested method. Seems to work fine except for one thing. I imported the m2t files to the PAL DV Widescreen 720x576 project timeline and for some reason the width of the picture doesn't reach the left and right edges of the project frame size. This results in two black margins on both sides of the visual (like a vertical letterbox). Do you have any idea why this is?

3. Without using Cineform NEO, will I run into problems adding effects with After Effects?
Thanks!!
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gunter View Post
Hi Adi,
I do have one more suggestion. Make the field order upper field first and when you render out to DVD MPEG2 for DVD, make that upper field first, too.
Mike (or whoever feels like answering) - when exactly would I want to select UPPER FIELD FIRST? and when would LOWER FIELD FIRST be the appropriate setting?

... by the way, editing is going nice and smooth with project set to HDV. Should be done by the end of the weekend. So thanks for all the help before. :-)
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I too would like to know the answer to the question,
when to use upper field and when to use lower field?

Am I right in the theory that you should set your field order for rendering the same as the project. (rendering to mpeg2 for dvd) and does it matter which you use, upper or lower?
Todd Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #20
Wrangler

Interlaced HDV is upper field first
Interlaced DV is lower field first
Old September 24th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski View Post
Interlaced HDV is upper field first
Interlaced DV is lower field first
So are you saying that if I am working with HD 1920x1080 50i I should render upper field for mpeg 2 for dvd?

If I am working 720p and want to render to mpeg2 for dvd which field order do I use?
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #22
Trustee

Hi Todd,

If you're working with 720p you've got progress video. No field order should be specified. When you render set your field order to none-progresive. That way your DVD can play progressive video if the DVD player and TV will support it.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #23
Wrangler

I've always used the default of Lower Field First when rendering an interlaced MPEG-2 for DVD Architect. I don't know if Upper Field First would make a difference with interlaced video, but t's easy enough to burn a test DVD to see.
Old September 25th, 2008, 01:18 AM   #24
Trustee

When you use 60i HDV footage and render with lower field first to an mpeg2 for DVD you'll end up with that stuttering look. It took me a few times to figure it out but as long as I use Upper Field First It comes out ok.

In any case, now even when I start with 60i I deinterlace (using Cineform) and keep it progressive all the way through to the DVD.

DVDA takes the progressive video without any problem.
Old September 25th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Hi Todd,

If you're working with 720p you've got progress video. No field order should be specified. When you render set your field order to none-progresive. That way your DVD can play progressive video if the DVD player and TV will support it.

Garrett
Thanks for the reply Garrett and Michael

I thought standard dvd had to be interlaced?
If the dvd is made progressive will un-supporting dvd players or tv's play it? Will one of them interlace it?
Old September 25th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #26
Trustee

Hi Todd,

I believe all DVD players have the ability to read progressive frames as long as the MPEG2 files have the correct flags set in them. I have some documentation from Sony (I don't remember where I got it from) that discusses creating and using progresive 24p MPEG2's for use in DVDA.

I just did a dance show where I used a 30p frame rate and I haven't had any problems or complaints yet.

If you want I can send you the document if you shoot me an email address that can take attachments.

Garrett
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #27

Standard DVD can be interlaced or not.
Vegas can easily deinterlace your footage to P if you'd like.
For specifics on HD, you might check out TheFullHD > Home
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Hi Todd,

I believe all DVD players have the ability to read progressive frames as long as the MPEG2 files have the correct flags set in them. I have some documentation from Sony (I don't remember where I got it from) that discusses creating and using progresive 24p MPEG2's for use in DVDA.

I just did a dance show where I used a 30p frame rate and I haven't had any problems or complaints yet.

If you want I can send you the document if you shoot me an email address that can take attachments.

Garrett
Thanks Garrett, I have sent you an email.

Todd
Old September 26th, 2008, 01:32 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Standard DVD can be interlaced or not.
Vegas can easily deinterlace your footage to P if you'd like.
For specifics on HD, you might check out TheFullHD > Home
Thanks Douglas,

I Look forward to see the site up and running. Just signed up to the mailing list.
Todd Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...