Is There a Photo App That "Thinks" like Vegas CC & 2nd CC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 13th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Trustee

Is There a Photo App That "Thinks" like Vegas CC & 2nd CC?

I have caught myself a few times wanting to color grade an image and have tried and tried and failed in my still photo app (Paint Shop Pro 8.... yes I know it is old). So I just import the photo into Vegas and open up the secondary CC tool and in a matter of a few minutes, I have all the colors just how I want them. I do this on an HD time line of course so I get the best resolution possible. Then I switch the preview window to good quality and save a snapshot so I can import that photo to DVDA (the most frequent culprit for needed manipulated images) and use it as the background.

But.... there has to be a better way. So my question to ya'll is, is there a still photo manipulation app that thinks and works like Vegas with the CC tools?
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I do this too. I don't know how to use photoshop and am too lazy to learn and to cheap to buy it.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

GIMP - for Windows

I use the Mac version of this program...a little bit of a learning curve but great for a free program.

Lou
Lou Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I've got Photoshop but there are times when a simple CC is more easily done with a few clicks in Vegas than going through several clicks in Photoshop.
Brian, since you're too cheap to buy it (it's a good chunk of change and your money is probably better spent elsewhere), check out Gimp.
It stands for GNU Image Manipulation Program and it's free.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
I've got Photoshop but there are times when a simple CC is more easily done with a few clicks in Vegas than going through several clicks in Photoshop.
Brian, since you're too cheap to buy it (it's a good chunk of change and your money is probably better spent elsewhere), check out Gimp.
It stands for GNU Image Manipulation Program and it's free.
But does Gimp "think" like Vegas. Does it have anything similar to the secondary CC? Primary CC? Or is it a wanna be photoshop? If there is one thing I don't want, its a photoshop clone that has all the annoying use interface & work flow "features" of photoshop.
Old September 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Jason, I've never used it but it's my understanding that Gimp is a Photoshop wannabe so I guess it's not what you want.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Jason, I've never used it but it's my understanding that Gimp is a Photoshop wannabe so I guess it's not what you want.
Dang. So I'm going to have to suck it up and learn Gimp or break out the manual for Paint Shop Pro eh? Dang.
Old September 13th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Yes, it's a Photoshop wannabe. I have the Mac version as well.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
Dang. So I'm going to have to suck it up and learn Gimp or break out the manual for Paint Shop Pro eh? Dang.
I found GIMP impossible. I'm not smart enough. If I could use Vegas to browse I would.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #10
Regular Crew

GIMP Tutorials

I found The GIMP impossible too, until my need for some photo fixups overcame my initial bewilderment. You may find these two tutorials I wrote of some help:

GIMP Photo Manipulation - Rotation, Geometric Correction, Healing, Cropping

GIMP Photo Manipulation - Corrective Rotation

The GIMP does not have a complimenty colour corrector though.

Dan.
Dan Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:49 AM   #11
Old Boot

Jason? You've already got PSP? You want an easy CC-ed image to go into DVDA? Do it directly via PSP and then back to DVDA?

1] Set up PSP as your preferred Graphics package

2] Select image from WITHIN DVDA

3] Choose to open image in your preferred Graphics - here it would be your PSP software - by right clicking on image (I have it too!)

4] PSP will automatically open WITH your image ready to go

5] Hit simple improve image Icons on your Toolbar. I've set mine up with : Black and White Points; Adjust Colour Balance; Adjust Curves; Adjust High/Mid/Shadow Levels. Make adjusts

6] File > Save Copy As > PSD or PNG or JPG

7] Back into DVDA and import your new background.

So, here you have a method to use your existing s/w AND to access it directly from within DVDA. And if you plop some Colour Correction Icons on your PSP toolbar it is really very fast indeed.

HTH

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...