64 bit Vegas 8.1 black frames and loosing project templates at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 14th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #1
Major Player

64 bit Vegas 8.1 black frames and loosing project templates

Greetings,

I'm trying out the new 64 bit Vegas on an 8 core machine running 64bit Vista. I'm noticing a few issues and wonder if anyone else is having these problems. I'm been looking through the posts and see that a lot of people are having some issues.

1. After importing the files and editing, after a while some or all of the project clips will turn black for a while and then red. Restartin Vegas works 1 out of 5 times or so, and then it happens again.

2. After restarting Vegas, it will usually start to load up the Veg file, but then says it can't use the m2t files. It asks me to point it to a replacement, when I point it at the original file, it throughs an error and says that it is corrupted or can't use. If I then open the project in 8.0c I can work with them. Then, sometimes, if I redue 8.1 it will let me see the files again.

I'm using footage from a JVC gy-hd200u in 720p60.

Any thoughts or ideas to correct this? When it runs, it seems to render 3 to 4 times as fast as 8.0c and I would really like to be able to use it.

Thank you as always for your informative responses.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Major Player

I had problems very similar using the 32 bit version of Vegas, and I had to replace a .dll in order to get it to work.

Here's the link to a thread on the Sony forums about it.

Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages

JR
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Jason,

Could you follow through on this post and let us know if this solves your problems, etc. I'm very interested to hear some feedback with Vegas 64-bit on a Vista 64-bit, etc.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Major Player

As a follow up, it seems to work sometimes. When I first turn on the machine, and load the project, about 70 percent of the time it will find the files without error and let me work with them for a while. After 15 minutes of cutting and moving the files around, they will start to turn red, then black, and sometimes red, then black, and not be available to use except for audio. If I shut Vegas 8.1 down and then reopen in, 1 out of five times it will find the files and I can continue. The other 4 out of 5 times it gives me the error with the media.

If I do the work in 8.0c, there is no problem. If I save the veg file after I'm done and open 8.1 with it, I can use 8.1 to render (which is really, really fast). But, if I start making alterations in 8.1 it gives me tons of problems again.

I'm using an 8core Mac Pro running boot camp onto Vista 64bit with 14 gigs of Ram. When it runs, 8.1 is startling with how fast it is. Both for editing, previewing, and rendering. I love it, it just is very buggy.

When I get into the office this evening I will try to reinstall it and see if that takes care of the problem.

If anyone has any other ideas, any settings to change or try, that would be greatly appreciated. If this can be made to work reliably it is going to speed up my workflow to an amazing degree.
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Major Player

And this has never happened running 8.0b on the same setup, and it does not happen, at least yet knock on wood, with 8.0c on the same machine.
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I have had the black frames issue also. In addition I had issues previewing via firewire, not possible for me with 8.1.

While 64 bit is faster, it is unusable for me, especially with no plug-in support yet available. Ulitmate S and magic bullet won't work with it.

If you are a professional editor, 8.1 may not be ready for prime time just yet.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; September 16th, 2008 at 11:37 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Major Player

I was wondering, do you think caputuring with Cineform in their intermediate codec would cure these Black Frame Problems?
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...