Vegas Pro 8c and Mercalli - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 28th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Once installed Deshaker is no more work than Mercalli.
Old March 1st, 2009, 04:50 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Vegas Pro 8c and Mercalli

Harold,

I'm not sure that's right.

Mercalli is a proper FX within Vegas itself which you drop directly on the clip. This then opens a diaogue box in which you make your selections from the various alternatives on offer with these then being applied by Mercalli very quickly indeed. With DeShaker you have to render out the selected clip, import, apply DeShaker, export and then input into Vegas which is a cumbersome process even though the results are usually excellent (and it's an even more time consuming process if you're unlucky enough to have quite a few clips to be treated in this way).

Of course, ideally we should ensure that everything is right at the taking stage but it's not always possible as we all know!

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 07:10 AM   #18
Sponsor: JET DV

Richard, the script he's talking about automates the process of rendering out the clip, automatically starting VirtualDub and running the deshaker script on the exported clip, and then bringing the adjusted clip back in. So while the steps are correct, they have been automated so you don't have to manually do them all.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:02 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Many thanks Edward. I hadn't realised that and it certainly makes a difference to what I said. But I should guess its still a longer process

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:19 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I'm done. Do what you want.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:27 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I have hundreds of clips to deal with and would prefer to remain in Vegas Pro rather than bouncing back and forth between programs.

And Harold, no need to get all bothered. ;)
Rick Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Try the automated DeShaker

Rick, I faced the same issue last year on a documentary project. In the past, I've used DeShaker manually, which involves a lot of steps for each and every clip. It worked great, but was a pain to deal with.

John Meyer's script now resides on my toolbar. In my last project, I decided it would be nice to have dozens of clips DeShaken. All I had to do was (a) highlight the specific clips on the timeline, (b) click once on the John Meyer script icon, and (c) walk away from the PC and go to bed. In the morning, the dozens of clips had been replaced by their DeShaken versions as new takes. I could go back to an original clip by just highlighting it and hitting the "T" key. Sweet.

John's script makes working with DeShaker a no-brainer. I had looked at the Mercalli product last year, but concluded that it was a poor competitor to DeShaker in how it dealt with black frame boundaries (as you probably know, DeShaker has the option to fill in the black frames edges with close-matching succeeding or prior frames, and most of the time this trick works very well). I should also mention that I throw on a 3% or 4% coocke-cutter black border on all my work. The border hides any leftover edge artifacts and is still small enough to be unnoticeable to the viewer.
Richard Iredale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Richard,

I've found the "Border Settings" Tab in Mercalli to be effective in dealing with the black frame boundaries - normally i would use 'Without Border (Upscaled)" or occasionally "Dynamic Border." Apart from this, the thought of having to wait overnight or even for a couple of hours for the outcome doesn't appeal too much no matter how excellent the result (and I do know that DeShaker is very good).

Jist a passing observation.

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...