Sony Certification at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony Certification

So is this still going? Is it worth time and effort?

Thanks,
John
John Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Certification

No one knows?
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:13 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

It is still available.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
It is still available.
But is it worth anything and how much does it cost? Looks like this is the relevant URL:

Sony Creative Software - Sony Certification Programs - Introduction

After reading the links, it looks like each Cert is $100 and must be taken in order. Then there is the problem that to take the exam, you have to go to Maddison Wisconsin to take the last exam.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Ok

So is it worth it or not? I don't want to just throw money away! Also is there a web page for the place in Madison?

Thanks,

John
Old September 28th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I would ask "What is your purpose in reaching this goal?". If you're considering it just because it's there, I would say it is worth no more than the satisfaction you recieved in obtaining it.

Is it worth it? Only you can know. Again, why are you considering it? To impress clients? Go for it, that sound fine. But will anyone really care? Your product is how you are judged by customers, not your certifications, IMO.

I have a pile of certificates of completions and certifications and I must admit they mean nothing to me or anyone I know, but that is just me.

If your goal is to make the effort as a way to learn the most you can about Vegas, I would think that would be an excellent reason also.

If you are on a path to becoming a certified Vegas instructor, that would be yet another reason that would make it worth it.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; September 29th, 2008 at 12:35 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #7
Major Player

I want to agree with Jeff.

I got three pieces of paper that say I'm certified to be working in film & TV. In five years of getting paid to make video, not one of those pieces of paper has ever gotten me a job. What has gotten me work is my demo reel, personal connections and referrals.

I work with a guy who is Vegas certified. The class gave him a greater understanding of the software. And he got a lot out of spending a couple of days with a Vegas expert and meeting fellow Vegas users who used the program in a variety of ways. If that is of value to you, then go ahead.

The other thing you might want to consider instead is - get training in another app like After Effects or Maya or FCP or whatever... Something that would expand your repertoire rather than focus it.

Good luck.
Old September 28th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore McNeil View Post
The other thing you might want to consider instead is - get training in another app like After Effects or Maya or FCP or whatever... Something that would expand your repertoire rather than focus it.

Excellent suggestion, Theodore...
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #9
Regular Crew

It probably won't get you any work, but it will make you understand Vegas more, and allow you to translate real world requirements into video product. It's two days of hands on instruction, the final exam is a series of tasks you have to accomplish in one or two hours, I can't remember which.
David McKnight is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...