Vegas 8 rendering for FCP users at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 4th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Vegas 8 rendering for FCP users

So I've been on Vegas since Vegas 5, and I'm ready to ditch it and go to FCP.

Anyway, here's my situation........

I do a fair bit of aerial helicam work for clients, and also handle the post production stabilization of the footage for them. But needless to say, they are all on Macs.

What format from Vegas would be the easiest and most compatible for Mac FCP users?
Most of their workflow is 1280x720p.

Streamclip?

Last edited by Derek Weiss; October 4th, 2008 at 01:42 PM.
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I just had to deliver a feature we edited in Vegas to a post house, and I rendered to reels and placed them in a FCP timeline in Quicktime JPEG2000 format, handing off on an external HD, with excellent results. (We have FCP and Vegas workstations within feet of each other; best way to go, IMO.) This was at the recommendation of the post house - Entourage Hollywood, BTW.

They also recommend the DNX HD codec for delivery if working with Avid folks.
Old October 4th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Mark.

Does anyone know if the Neo (Cineform) .mov files from Vegas renders are compatible in the FCP timeline?
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, you can use the Cineform codecs, but I believe that they can only be used in the new Intel Macs.

And I'm not sure if they have to be purchased separately if their destination is a Mac owned by someone other than the originating user. I actually explored this option, but gave up as soon as I found that it wouldn't work on our pre-intel G5. It is also awkward asking a post house to install a codec to work with you.

The nice thing about both JPEG2000 and DNX HD is they are both completely open (non-proprietary) and cross-platform.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...