Track Cropping at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 15th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Track Cropping

Anyone know if it's possible to apply a crop to an entire track rather than just a clip?

Ta
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

track motion but generally it's better to apply pan/crop to clip. resolution holds better however if you need to crop eveything the same you COULD crop 1 then 'copy'. Highlight the rest of the clips and then 'paste event attributes' but keep in mind this will paste ALL attributes that were on the first clip and copied so you'd want to do the cropping first.
HTHs
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Don, I'll give that a try.

Out of interest why would the resolution be better in crop/pan than in track motion?

Stuart
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 06:44 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Track Motion uses the resolution of the video frame. Pan/Crop uses the full resolution of the original clip. Therefore if you have a hi-res picture, you could be zooming in on the full resolution when using Pan/Crop. With Track Motion and that same image, you'd be zooming in on the video frame (i.e. 720x480 with NTSC DV)
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #5
Old Boot

How about bringing back as a Nest and applying Pan/Crop to the nest?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Track Cropping

So for the pic-in-pic look using the pan/crop would be the better than the track motion. The reason i'm asking is, i am going through the sony production work book and it mentions to use the track motion for pic-in-pic. The way i see it either will work or am i wrong. Please set me strait.

Thanks
John
John Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Track Motion uses the resolution of the video frame. Pan/Crop uses the full resolution of the original clip. Therefore if you have a hi-res picture, you could be zooming in on the full resolution when using Pan/Crop. With Track Motion and that same image, you'd be zooming in on the video frame (i.e. 720x480 with NTSC DV)
But presumably if your source is full resolution video it would make no difference whether you used track motion or pan/crop? In other words, this is only a factor if your source is of a higher resolution that the frame size you are working in (eg a high res still). Have I got that right?
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #8
Old Boot

Is this Preview Reso or final Render Reso? I am not clear which of Edward's statements is applied to either Preview or Render?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #9
Sponsor: JET DV

John, for PIPs, Track Motion is fine because you're not zooming IN on an image - instead you're zooming OUT.

Ian, that would be correct. If there's no more resolution either would work the same. I still prefer Pan/Crop for the cropping purpose, though.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks all. I guess that was the point in all this. That if you are zooming out there was no loss of resolution. However if I were doing a photo job or something then the pan/crop would be the best option for putting movement to the stills.
John Griffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...