VEGA VS Premiere= Switchover at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 18th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

VEGA VS Premiere= Switchover

Hello, here is a brief description; I do videos/skits for my church, do some chroma key, but mostly skits with music in the background. I use a Canon XL1. I bought a Dell XPS 420 computer with CS3 already installed. I am having soooooooooo much problems with Premiere Pro, it just shuts down on me, it locks up...I made another post to try to fix it, and it doesn't work!!! So I want to move to Sony Vegas. What are your thoughts or Pros and Cons? From what I see, you can do "after effect" style work in vegas such as, a light saber, chroma key, teleporting, etc. Working with Premiere really busts my head and takes allot of time from me. Please let me know the goods and bads of the two. Thanks
Victor Guzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Vegas Premiere ramblings

I use both vegas and premiere pro and switch between the two depending on the project. Its true that if you're into doing a lot of compositing work like using blend modes on layers then vegas already has that, premiere didn't have that up to its CS3 version but the new CS4 will have blend mode and calculation functions. Vegas trumps premiere in the audio department. Vegas first launched as a full fledged audio waveform editor and mixer software and only later incorporated video into it. Premiere, however, trumps vegas in its outboard hardware support with devices like the matrox which help increase productivity. Personally, like i said, i use both depending on the work i have, i like the editing precision of premiere but when it comes to funky looking visual effects and audio mixing i prefer vegas. I think your particular problem with premiere isn't the software itself but some configuration error with the computer. Although i would definitely recommend you give vegas a go i would also ask you to get your computer looked at. Make sure you have sufficient memory and hard disk space. Also, keep in mind that getting familiar with any new software and its interface takes some time. Vegas works best when its configured and customized to your own specifications, and it could take some time spent with it to really have a feel for how you want it working. Anyway, hope all this didn't confuse you any further, just thought i should blurt out all that came to mind. Sorry about the one paragraph, i'm typing this on my tiny little cell phone and it doesn't have an enter key :) good luck with everything :)
Old October 18th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks, I'm going to use the frre trial and see how it goes. Something is definitely wrong with my setup, today I did a 2 min skit, and premiere kept crashing and freezing up, i even tried uninstall and install, nothing!! I'm going to do a post on that with descriptions. thanks
Old October 19th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

There are plenty of Premier Pro users that are happy with PP. With my limited experience with PP, Vegas just seems faster and easier to use. PP can utilize capture cards though, a nice feature in and of itself.

Anyway, I agree the issue may not be PP software alone, but some configuration issue.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

ya if PP didnt give me so much problems I would like it too.
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Jafri View Post
I use both vegas and premiere pro and switch between the two depending on the project. Its true that if you're into doing a lot of compositing work like using blend modes on layers then vegas already has that, premiere didn't have that up to its CS3 version but the new CS4 will have blend mode and calculation functions. Vegas trumps premiere in the audio department. Vegas first launched as a full fledged audio waveform editor and mixer software and only later incorporated video into it. Premiere, however, trumps vegas in its outboard hardware support with devices like the matrox which help increase productivity. Personally, like i said, i use both depending on the work i have, i like the editing precision of premiere but when it comes to funky looking visual effects and audio mixing i prefer vegas. I think your particular problem with premiere isn't the software itself but some configuration error with the computer. Although i would definitely recommend you give vegas a go i would also ask you to get your computer looked at. Make sure you have sufficient memory and hard disk space. Also, keep in mind that getting familiar with any new software and its interface takes some time. Vegas works best when its configured and customized to your own specifications, and it could take some time spent with it to really have a feel for how you want it working. Anyway, hope all this didn't confuse you any further, just thought i should blurt out all that came to mind. Sorry about the one paragraph, i'm typing this on my tiny little cell phone and it doesn't have an enter key :) good luck with everything :)
the more insite the better!! thanks
Victor Guzman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...