DVD architect 4.0 vs "glitches" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 19th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD architect 4.0 vs "glitches"

Hi everyone,

I see alot of question about DVD architect, I have one too.

I work with Vegas 7 and I havent made too many DVDs yet because I'm new in all this and most of the videos i make are for net purposes, I tried using DVDA not long ago and found it was very easy to understand and use, I've made DVDs for my brother's wedding, for my uncle's 50th wedding anniversary and a couple of other events, but everytime I've made one I always have "glitches" while watching it. It is very frustrating, after all the hours of filming and editing the end result in all of this is a DVD that has problems and people end up not watching it because of that. Imagine when my whole familly was all reunited to watch the DVD and Bang!! the "glitches" started and ruined everything, it's a good thing I dont do this for money.

So what i want to know, am I the only one to have these problems? I've used my DVDs on old and new DVD players and they always have problems.
Thanks!
Donald Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It would help a lot if you could describe what a "glitch" is.
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

For me a "glitche" is like when you rent a DVD and it's dirty or scratched, it pauses for a while (maybe for 7 or 10 secondes) then continues by itself or you have to fastforward it a bit, but in my case it's never at the same place, very random and unpredictable.

In DVDA when I preview the DVD everything is perfect tho.
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

How are you rendering to go to DVD Architect? Maybe the bitrate is too high?

What type of media are you burning to? Some brands don't work very well.

There are a ton of variables involved. Perhaps if you give us some more details. What brand media? What brand burner? What preset are you using for rendering? How long is the video? etc...
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I render most of my Vegas files in AVI format (NTSC DV Widescreen 24p / 2-3 pulldown)
With Sony Vegas 7.0 and DVD Architect 4.0
I have a BENQ DVD DD DW1640 / DVD+RW 16x single side burner

If I take my uncle's 50th wedding anniversary for exemple :
The longest video is 12min (single shot / speach) but most of them are 3-4min long.
I made a principal menu with sub-menus.
The default video bitrate (Mbps) in DVDA is 7,4Mbps
I think I'm compressing around 17g in a 4.7g DVD but i have the same problem with smaller projects.

If you need any other info just let me know

I just noticed that I was using DVD-R 4.7gb 16x on a DVD+RW burner, do you think that this could cause these problems?
Old October 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #6

The bitrate sounds fine. What brand of blank DVDs are you using?
Old October 19th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Like I said, I just noticed that I was using DVD-R on a DVD+R burner, I don't know what -R or +R means and I guess I didnt notice when I bought them.

Anyways to answer your question I bought these DVDs at Wal-Mart. my brother used them alot and never had any problems with them.

Retail Plus 16x 4.7GB DVD-R Media - 75-piece Cake Box RetailPlus 558850 RPDM1675CM
Old October 19th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #8

-R and +R are two different burning methods. If you're burning -R in a drive that will only do +R, I'm surprised it actually let you. There are many drives available that will do both. It might be worth checking, though.

I've never heard of a "Retail Plus" brand name. DVD media is definitely not all created equal. I've had good luck with Verbatim but most swear by TY.
Old October 19th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ok so I should burn the same project I had problems with but on a DVD+R to see if the "glitches" are still there and if that dosent fix it, burn the same project on a different brand DVD+R?
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:40 AM   #10

That would be a good place to start. You might also take a disc to your friend's house and burn a copy there as well.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...