64 Bit vista ... what do i gain what do i lose? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 31st, 2008, 09:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

64 Bit vista ... what do i gain what do i lose?

I am waiting for my new machine right now ....

which will include 64Bit Windows with Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9300 2.5GHz and 6 GB RAM...

my Question is ..what do i gain compared to 32Bit ... other then the rendering time...
and what will i miss out on when i upgrade
Old October 31st, 2008, 09:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I promise you will notice more improvement from using 10K drives for your video than you will from 64 bit Windows. Rendering is better, but preview is the same from my experience.

It is also important that you research the tweaks that improve vista's performance, if you haven't already.

64 bit Vegas is useless if you need plug in support, except for Excalibur, it works with it.

Some people are using Vegas 8.1 and are enjoying it. Enjoy your new machine!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I promise you will notice more improvement from using 10K drives for your video than you will from 64 bit Windows. Rendering is better, but preview is the same from my experience.

It is also important that you research the tweaks that improve vista's performance, if you haven't already.

64 bit Vegas is useless if you need plug in support, except for Excalibur, it works with it.

Some people are using Vegas 8.1 and are enjoying it. Enjoy your new machine!
Ohh that means i wont be able to use other plugins at all ??? hummm . is there a way i can work on TWO computers with same veg file?? i mean on the same project???? like do plugins in one ... save the VEG fie and using external drive open it in another computer?
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:26 AM   #4
Major Player

The largest gain IMHO is that EVEY 32 bit app you run can allocate 4gb of real mem.

So having 8gb in the machine you can give vegas/premeiere 4gb, 2gb to photoshop and still have 2gb left for the OS

And memory is CHEAAAP - (at least DDR2 - no gain going DDR3 for rendering) - I bought 8gb 6 months ago, today - the same money would get me 16gb...

// Lazze
Old October 31st, 2008, 11:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Siden View Post
The largest gain IMHO is that EVEY 32 bit app you run can allocate 4gb of real mem.

So having 8gb in the machine you can give vegas/premeiere 4gb, 2gb to photoshop and still have 2gb left for the OS

And memory is CHEAAAP - (at least DDR2 - no gain going DDR3 for rendering) - I bought 8gb 6 months ago, today - the same money would get me 16gb...

// Lazze
Thank you .. thats a good info ...
Old October 31st, 2008, 02:55 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Siden View Post

// Lazze

Sorry but i think on 32bit systems you can use maximum 4gb total ram(the right is 3,2gb), not 4gb to vega, 2gb to photoshop... On 64bit systems you can do this.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Kostas Papadakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wajahat Abbasi View Post
hummm . is there a way i can work on TWO computers with same veg file?? i mean on the same project???? like do plugins in one ... save the VEG fie and using external drive open it in another computer?
Yes, you can do this. I do it all the time. In fact, you can use 8.1 and 8.0c on the SAME computer. I do this on my laptop. The .AVI file support is pretty weak in 8.1 so I end up working in quicktime formats. Version 8.1 supports nearly all my better codecs that way including the AJA and Blackmagic 10bit ones. Makes going back and forth a breeze. Just remember that just because you use a plug-in in 32 bit, doesn't mean you can save the .veg and move to 64 bit. You've got to render first so that you don't need the plug-in to get he look.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...