exporting VEG project files in Sony Vegas from one computer to another? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 4th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

exporting VEG project files in Sony Vegas from one computer to another?

am getting my new computer today ! ..... i have a lot of project files (VEG) on my old PC and most of them i am still working on .....

a lot of media used in these projects are from differnet folders or even different drives on my old PC ...

is there a easy way of exporting my project files to my new computer... cause i think ONLY taking the VEG files wont do the job ...correct?

can some one share their experince in doing some thing like this ....

Thanks
Old November 4th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Probably the easiest way would be if all of them were on an external drive and you just moved the drive to the other machine. The next best option would be to just copy the directory structure to an external drive, move that to the other machine, and then put the directory structure back on the same drive letter. There is another option, though, but it will require opening every VEG file.

If you open each VEG file, you can do a File - Save As, pick an EMPTY folder, and use the option to "copy and trim media". This will put ALL media used by that project in that single folder so everything that project depends on will be in one place. You would have one folder per project and would simply need to copy those folders to the new machine.

Please note there can be OTHER dependencies as well:
Fonts on the old system that may not be on the new one.
3rd party effects would need to be installed on the new machine.
Any scripts you have would need to be installed/copied.
Presets would need to be recreated.
etc...
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks for a quick reply ...

another issue i have it my new machine is 64-bit and the one i am using as of right now is 32-Bit...

did any one migrated their projects sucessfully from 32-bit to 64-bit?
Old November 4th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #4

Vegas Pro 8.1 (the 64bit version) will open Vegas Pro 8.0 files just fine. Vegas Pro 8.0 will open Vegas Pro 8.1 files as well. Plus, you can install Vegas Pro 8.0 beside 8.1 on the same machine and switch back and forth between them.

There are some limitations to Vegas Pro 8.1 such as, 3rd party transitions/effects currently do not work, not as many codec options, etc...
Old November 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Vegas Pro 8.1 (the 64bit version) will open Vegas Pro 8.0 files just fine. Vegas Pro 8.0 will open Vegas Pro 8.1 files as well. Plus, you can install Vegas Pro 8.0 beside 8.1 on the same machine and switch back and forth between them.

There are some limitations to Vegas Pro 8.1 such as, 3rd party transitions/effects currently do not work, not as many codec options, etc...

so if i have effects in my Projects right now ... e.g Magic Bullets , Ultimate S , New Blue Effects ... i wont be able to use 64-Bit ..???? if my project is in 32-bit .... exproting it in 64-bit ..ill lose all the effects then ???
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #6

Basically correct. New Blue, Magic Bullet, etc... will not currently work in Vegas Pro 8.1. However, scripts ARE working. I know VASST was working on a update to get Ultimate S working in 8.1 and it was mentioned that it was now working you might check to see if they have an update posted. I know Excalibur is working there too so you should be fine script-wise.
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #7
Regular Crew

u guys think other then rendering time ..do i get any thing else from 64-bit ???

should i just install 32-bit Vista on my machine?

i dont mind if it takes few more minutes rendering as long as i have my plugins working...

what other benifiting am i geting from 64-bit?
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Picking up on the presets point - is there a folder in the Vegas install where presets (and FX Chains) are stored and if so, can these be copied to a second machine?

I am about to make a promo video for a client at their HQ in Rockville, MD and I am shooting and editing on site with a laptop. I have already told them that all I will be able to do while I am there is the 'assembly' edit and that I want to wait until I get back to the big machine in the UK to do cc etc. However, I have a ton of presets and FX Chains (using the standard Vegas filters) that I frequently turn to for almost all my productions and it would be great if they could be copied wholesale onto the laptop.

Is this possible? I can't look at the Vegas folder structure at the moment, otherwise I would do a little exploring myself.

Thanks.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Ian, Preset Manager (a free utility from Sony) is what you want.

And if it's custom render templates you need, all of the custom rendering templates are in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sony\File Templates

Where <username> is your windows account name.
Just copy them over to your new PC and they should be recognized.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Ah yes, Mike, of course! I'd forgotten all about that. Many thanks for reminding me.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...