Help, very very bad flickering at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 10th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Help, very very bad flickering

All of the sudden, I'm getting very bad flickering on rendering a DVD with DVDA 5,

I have the latest software, a 1 month old raptor install, I've ruled out the dvd burner, and I don't see the flickering when I preview in DVDA. I only see it with after I render and burn the project to disk. I can burn the same project, or any project with my laptop and I don't get the same issue. This is almost a strobe effect. I have reduce interlace flicker on, it makes no difference. I even reinstalled DVDA. I'm a little lost on this one. I've used different footage as well, and it strobes too if I render the DVD on this machine. Any ideas?
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Update

Well,

I have narrowed the issue down to 'trying to use an avi file' into either build of DVDa5.0 or DVDa 5.0a.

Not sure why, but I may be missing something on my operating system that will allow the AVI to render properly. I'm not sure what that is. But the flicker happens with my desktop, but not my laptop, and currently the only difference between the two is, the desktop has service pack 3, and I guess that may be the issue, but I'm not Bill Gates. The good news is, I can render to mpeg2 and not get the flicker on my desktop. I'll just have to figure out what type of file my flash converter can use and go from there. That was the reason I was rendering to AVI.
Old November 16th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Inner Circle

WEll, I still have it.

I have narrowed it down to DVDA's render of the avi file as far as I know. Because I used the same source file to render the same project using some other DVD authoring software I have and I didn't have the huge flicker problem. So, I've emailed Sony, yet again, to figure out what is wrong with this machine/DVDA 5. The only software difference between my desktop which has the problem, and my laptop which doesn't, is Service Pack 3 on my desktop. I'm stuck.
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #4
Trustee

Sure you have the field order set correctly?
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #5
Major Player

I render AVI files and have SP 3 but don't get the problem.
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thans Paul

I uninstalled SP3, thinking that since that was the only difference in the machines, that had to be it. But the problem remains. Index of /sony is an example of what I have, the mpeg renders fine, the avi doesn't. I'm still talking to sony about it.
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Steven, or anyone else, did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I've just experienced the same thing. What's crazy is that I am SURE I came across this issue before and I solved it - but can I remember how? Can I hell! Maybe I didn't solve it at all.

I'll scour the forum but if anyone has a solution to hand I would be very appreciative. I rarely burn DVD's (most of my work ends upon someone's website) so my knowledge of DVDA is slim.

Thanks.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #8
Inner Circle

No Ian

I didn't solve it, Sony end the end told me to create a new user in windows and try that, but I haven't had the time. I'm still using DVDa3 on the same machine and it works fine. I still have the issue, I haven't been able to figure it out.
Old January 14th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hmmm, it's odd.

I am using DVDA5, XP Pro SP2 (cannot ever get through an instal of SP3). Like you I can render projects with no problem in earlier versions of DVDA but not in 5.

My workaround (this time) was to render mpeg2 from the timeline. Just adds a couple more steps to my workflow (I need both avi and mpeg versions) but not too annoying.

So, is it just you and me?!
Old January 14th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Hmmm, it's odd.

I am using DVDA5, XP Pro SP2 (cannot ever get through an instal of SP3). Like you I can render projects with no problem in earlier versions of DVDA but not in 5.

My workaround (this time) was to render mpeg2 from the timeline. Just adds a couple more steps to my workflow (I need both avi and mpeg versions) but not too annoying.

So, is it just you and me?!

Don't know Ian. I spent several weeks going back and forth with Sony. They told me that I was the only one that it has happened to. Now that you are having this problem, I am begining to believe that it may be a software issue rather than any of my hardware. Like you, I can render to Mpeg2 fine, but I'm used to having a lot of random compression on DVDA and would rather have the avi wrapper.

I would encourage you to contact Sony, that way they can hear from someone else other than that '@#$%@# dude in Richmond. Ok, maybe they dont' curse at me, who knows. :}

By the way, my issue is on a brand new install of windows xp pro, brand new raptor drive, and I had SP3 on it, but uninstalled it thinking that the flicker was coming from it. But the flicker stayed. I just wanted Sony to tell me what the main difference is in DVDA3 and DVDA5 so I could look for a solution, but they never told me any difference.
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Yes, I will contact Sony - do you have a trouble ticket reference number I could quote so they can link both issues?

I'm surprised no-one else is chiming in here - I thought it would have been a known, even common, issue with a straightforward solution.

Is there still a club called Goin' Bananas in Richmond? In the early 80's I did a theatre company tour from Montreal to Richmond and that was our post-performance hang out for the three or four days we were in town. Happy memories of an afternoon floating down the James on a tyre tube, six pack tied on with string! I live quite close to Richmond-upon-Thames which I think is still twinned with your town.
Old January 14th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #12
Major Player

Steven and Ian,

i have xp pro sp3, vegas 7 and dvda 4.....I had the same problem doing the avi thing....thinking that wow should be better because it is uncompressed. As per other threads here, I took the advice of rendering in mainconcept mpeg2 route and have had zero problems since......dvda doesn't have to re-render it when it writes to the dvd. My thought on this is, why render your footage twice when one time will work..... IMHO. In a nut shell.....if going to dvd....I recommend the mpeg2 route from my personal experience.

Just a thought...has any one tried rendering in avi and then record it back to the camera, then see how it looks on the tv screen? I'm interested what the results would be.

Michael
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hutson View Post
Steven and Ian,

i have xp pro sp3, vegas 7 and dvda 4.....I had the same problem doing the avi thing....thinking that wow should be better because it is uncompressed. As per other threads here, I took the advice of rendering in mainconcept mpeg2 route and have had zero problems since......dvda doesn't have to re-render it when it writes to the dvd. My thought on this is, why render your footage twice when one time will work..... IMHO. In a nut shell.....if going to dvd....I recommend the mpeg2 route from my personal experience.

Just a thought...has any one tried rendering in avi and then record it back to the camera, then see how it looks on the tv screen? I'm interested what the results would be.

Michael
Well, some habits die hard, but I'm used to storing my finished files in an avi wrapper, then I can go to web, dvd mp4 etc. More over, hehe, I paid to upgrade and I would like this software to do what it's supposed to do. :} But thanks for the advice.
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #14
Major Player

You know what they say about old dogs.... ;) Have a great day, steven
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I submit that yes, technically DVDA should compress avi files for you, but I have never trusted DVDA for that job because there is no way to know what settings it uses to compress.

As suggested, by rendering avi files first with Vegas using the appropriate mpeg 2 template there would be no issue. You can still store your files any way you choose, just render with Vegas first and if you do not need to save the resulting Mpeg 2 files just delete them.

For rendering directly from avi I have found Nero does fine, though I rarely have it installed on my machine.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...