Magic Bullet Looks on Vista 64 and Vegas 8.1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 8th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Magic Bullet Looks on Vista 64 and Vegas 8.1

I'm wondering if anybody has been sucessful in getting MBL to work in vegas 8.1 on Vista 64-bit?
Keith Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Won't work until Red Giant release a 64-bit version of MBL... My work around is to have a Version of Vegas Pro 8.0c installed as well for use of MBL. You can have the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version and just use the 32-bit when you need to use any 32-bit plugins. I also have After Effects and use it for MBL as well. Hope Red Giant are going to have a 64-bit version soon cause I have a whole lot of RAM that is waiting to be utilized.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't suppose anybody out there as discovered a work around yet? i.e. to "trick" the 32-bit version of Magic Bullet Looks to run in a 64-bit environment?

I've tried righ-clicking on the MBL exe file and selecting the XP compatibility mode but to no avail.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old December 29th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You might want to contact Jeff Harper

The Digital Video Information Network - View Single Post - Vista 64 or Xp64 for Vegas 8?
I was asking about this a couple of weeks ago and he said it's possible. I havent finished budiling my new systems so I cant confirm personally. Also look at this.
Magic Bullet Looks: Windows Vista 32-bit & 64-bit installation help
Ken Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #5
Major Player

MB Looks runs just fine as a 32 bit plugin on 8.0c on Vista 64 bit. It does not work on 8.1 on Vista 64 bit.

I like editing and rendering on 8.1, but I keep returning to MB Looks to grade neutral footage. Unfortunately I must use 8.0c, not 8.1, to enjoy the benefits.

-Steve
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I have found that MB works fine with Vista 64 bit, as long as Vegas is 32 bit. Won't work with Vegas 8.1

Don't know of any tricks, unfortunately to make it work if it is not, sorry.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #7
Major Player

32-bit modules (dll's, DirectShow filters etc etc) cannot be used by 64-bit programs. Ever.

Either the vendor has to modify and recompile the code to create a 64-bit version (which can be a lot more trouble than it is worth) or create an elaborate collection of additional modules that allow the 64-bit program to talk to the 32-bit module indirectly (and ineffeciently). I'm going through that process right now. Lucky me(!)
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #8
Regular Crew

4 months on, any update?

4 months on and I'm wondering if anybody has heard of a forthcoming Magic Bullet 64-bit release?
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #9
Inner Circle

You might contact Red Giant, they would tell you what they can I'm sure. I personally do not use 8.1 because of MB not working and also because of Ultimate S not working with it. (New version of Ultimate S might work, I have no idea).

While it would be wonderful if 8.1 (or the new Vegas 9 64 bit version) would work with these items, I don't see it as a huge issue for me personally. Vegas 8.0c is stable and fast as it is and I found Vegas 8.1 to be a bit "beta" for me.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #10
Sponsor: JET DV

Red Giant will have to update it for 64-bit. Some companies have already done so (like NewBlueFX). Many others have not.

As for scripts, I know a new version of Ultimate S will soon be released that will support the 64-bit versions. Excalibur 6 has always worked in the 64-bit versions and has also been tested in both 32 and 64 bit versions of Vegas Pro 9.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, is there any representative from Red Giant on these forums? I have made contact a few times via their website but I've never received a response.

Excalibur has always worked well for me Edward. Well done on a great product. I'll admit that I only use about 1% of it's functionality. If you could point me in the direction of an overview document that runs through the important features, that would be great.

thanks
Keith
Old April 27th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #12
Sponsor: JET DV

There's always the manual. Just go to the About tab and you can open up the manual.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...