First Vegas Edit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 9th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

First Vegas Edit

This is my frist edit with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9, and also my first time syncing two a two camera shoot. I know the Auido sucks as it was captured with with just on camera shotguns in a very loiud environment, but it was mainly practice with some young friends of mine. I had a ball doing this and it did make me dig in on Vegas and learn what I was doing. Still a lot to learn but this rookie is having fun. As always comments and critisisms welcomed!

Revelation - Bulls on Parade on Vimeo
Curtis Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

bumping it
Old December 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Edwards View Post
bumping it
for being an a poorely lit area, you have some good colors (thinking of some of hte shot of the guitars). color consistance might need some work. the wide angle shots are a bit washed out probably because of the large dynamic range being shot (bright spots and dark corners).

try the "copy to clipboard" feature of vegas where you take a screen shot of the preview window and use it as the "left/right" half to compare one scene and the next. that tool helped me achieve a more consistent look between cuts. I'm thinking of the transition at 1:10 & 1:11 between the two shots of the stage.

at 2:30 the guitar player sets the mic down, his hands and not on the guitar, but the audio shows the guitar solo playing. is this a J/L cut to cover camera movement etc? jsut curious.

the end credits indicate directing. just curious what that involved. DId you shoot practices with the band so you could time shots to go to audience, and shots to go to bass player, etc.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

As always thanks for the great comments.

Appreciate the tip on color great idea! It was VERY poorly lit!

At 2:30 best I can tell he is actually playing just not picking, these guys play so loud you can play just fingering the guitar, and this young man is very talented.

Directing really only meant to give credit to Mike as he was the only one there who had shot a two camera show before, so he gave us the guideance on what to shoot and what each other should be focused on individually.

No pre-timing of shots was involved, the shot changes just kinda of flowed as I stumbled through my first edit with Vegas.

Thanks again I learned eveytime I do something new and the feedback here is ALWAYS helpful!
Old December 11th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Curtis, for a "rookie", I thought you did an excellent job.
One thing I noticed was that there were numerous times when the camera would switch from a cover shot of the band playing to another cover shot of the band playing.
It's always been my philosophy that changes like this should be more "drastic", for lack of a better word.
For example, cut from a wide shot to a medium shot to a wide shot to a close up.
In your example, leave one camera on a wide shot for the entire song and have the other camera get medium shots & close-ups that can be cut to during editing.
Also, I'm sure you know this but make sure that, once started, both cameras run continuously until the end of the song.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #6
Major Player

I liked it, I would liked to have seen some organic shots though... like a hand held sweep in front of the band.. maybe next time. :)
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Curtis, for a "rookie", I thought you did an excellent job.
One thing I noticed was that there were numerous times when the camera would switch from a cover shot of the band playing to another cover shot of the band playing.
It's always been my philosophy that changes like this should be more "drastic", for lack of a better word.
For example, cut from a wide shot to a medium shot to a wide shot to a close up.
In your example, leave one camera on a wide shot for the entire song and have the other camera get medium shots & close-ups that can be cut to during editing.
Also, I'm sure you know this but make sure that, once started, both cameras run continuously until the end of the song.
Yea one lesson learned the more B roll the better for more dramtic cuts. Thanks for your comments.
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
I liked it, I would liked to have seen some organic shots though... like a hand held sweep in front of the band.. maybe next time. :)
I agree, thanks for your comments. Can't wait for the next oppportunity.
Curtis Edwards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...