Best render method vegas 8 to windows dvd maker? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 26th, 2008, 04:39 AM   #1
Tourist

Best render method vegas 8 to windows dvd maker?

I have Sony Vegas 8. I'm editing a short for a friend and it was shot in 4:3 SD. Is there a link to a template to get the best quality render settings? I've been rendering using Mainconcept mpeg 2 with default settings. I'm using windows dvd maker. Thanks
Chris Woolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Just use the DVD Architect template. You do not need to change any settings to improve, unless you want to go into project properties and change the 8bit setting to 32 bit, be sure to save your project with that setting so it will stick. It will provide a richer color, but the amount of time to render is doubled or worse.

The difference between 8bit and 32bit is relatively small with many projects, so unless you have no problem with significantly longer render times, I wouldn't worry about it. If time is not important 32 bit can be provide a nicer look.

There is a "best" setting in the customization box, but unless there are photos involved it likely will not make a difference. Edward Troxel has explained all of the situations where the "best" settings make a difference but I have forgotten what those situations he listed are. Like the 32bit setting, best further adds to rendering time. If no photos are involved with your project, you are likely going to be getting your best images using 32 bit, and I wouldn't worry about using "best" setting.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Chris, as Jeff said, use the DVD Architect settings. You can adjust the bitrate for whatever the length of your video is but, otherwise, the DVD Architect settings will do well. Remember that those do NOT include audio by default, though, as it's expected you'd render the audio out to a separate AC3 file.

The "default" MPEG2 renderer is VERY POOR. So please do not stick with the "default" preset.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #4
Tourist

Thanks, and yes when I rendered it I had no sound. Forgive my ignorance, but do I need DVD Architect to get the sound or will sound and video render it once if I choose different settings.
Chris Woolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #5

Your DVD authoring program should be able to accept a separate audio file. However, you CAN include audio in the MPEG2 file if you wish. Just go into the custom settings to the audio tab and turn it back on.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You know how you rendered an MPEG 2?

Now you need to render separately for audio. It's a separate file. Render as > ac3 studio > stereo dvd template and you're good to go.

There are other settings for audio that some like better, but to avoid confusion the above settings are good to start with. It's what I use myself and I have absolutely no complaints.

If you use the above settings it will be perfectly compatable with DVD architect.

If you need a .wav file instead of ac3 use the following:
render as wav > then choose 48K 24 bit template. Again you can tweak the settings and play with it later, that is up to you.

Use these suggested settings as I list them, because they do work, not because they are the best. Some will say they like other settings better, but that is unimportant, right now you just want any setting to get started. You can determine what exact settings are best for yourself later. However if you have an issue with them for any reason, then let us know.

Edit, I now see Edwards post. Of course you can do as he suggests also!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Ed:

While we are on this subject, I note that some people like or insist on rendering separate sound and video for the DVD creation. Is there a reason you wouldn't render it together in a single output mpeg2 file ?
Old December 26th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #8
Trustee

Chris i was about to write the same question......
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Is there a reason you wouldn't render it together in a single output mpeg2 file ?
Yes there is. When rendering the audio into the MPEG2 file, you are compressing the audio into MPEG format. Now when you create the DVD - AC3 is the preferred format. So what happens is the MPEG audio now gets decompressed before it gets recompressed into AC3. So now the audio has be compressed, decompressed, compressed again losing quality during each step. It's better to have the single compression straight to AC3 instead of going through the other cycle.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...