how to make video lighter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 29th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #1
New Boot

how to make video lighter?

Hello,

i made some shots in church but its little bit dark.
Is there any way how to do that more lighter in Vegas?

Thanks
Bohumil Stanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Use Levels or Colour Curves.
If your not sure what your doing there's a good free AUTO LEVELS plugin here..
Mike Crash Homepage - Downloads
Dugi Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:22 AM   #3
New Boot

You can also try duplicating the video track and changing the compositing mode to screen, then adjust the top tracks transparancy to taste.
Darrin Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Oh my goodness...

This couldn't be more simple.

Click the "+" on the media in the time. Select the "Sony Brightness and contrast" plug-in. Click OK. Adjust the brightness slider until you get what you want. Done.

Now if you are doing this to create "professional looking" video, there are some other things you'll want to do, but otherwise, that's it. You're golden.
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Inner Circle

You can also try using brightness and contrast lightly.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Oh my goodness...

This couldn't be more simple.

Click the "+" on the media in the time. Select the "Sony Brightness and contrast" plug-in. Click OK. Adjust the brightness slider until you get what you want. Done.
Sorry Perrone but I beg to differ.
I never use the "Sony Brightness and Contrast" plug-in.
The biggest problem is that they affect the entire scene when you may need only the dark areas brightened or the highlights compressed.

Quote:
Now if you are doing this to create "professional looking" video, there are some other things you'll want to do, but otherwise, that's it. You're golden.
Shouldn't we be striving to create "professional looking" videos all the time?

As Dugi said, learn to use Levels or Colour Curves.
It will make a huge difference in your videos.
If you're not comfortable with these tools, I highly recommend buying the Color Correction with Sony Vegas DVD from VASST.
It's well worth the money.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 11:38 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Mike,

I am very comfortable with the tools in Vegas. But did the OP strike you as someone who is setting up for film, or as someone who wanted to improve his quickly shot video.

Come on guys, not everyone wants to jump in shoulder deep to this stuff. We make things FAR too complicated sometimes.
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:59 PM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
But did the OP strike you as someone who is setting up for film, or as someone who wanted to improve his quickly shot video.
In my opinion, using Brightness and Contrast would not "improve" his video. It would make it lighter but would not "improve" it. I agree with the recommendations to use the other tools. They're not that complicated that a fairly quick improvement can't be gained.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 01:52 PM   #9
Major Player

I totally agree with Edward.

If you want one tool that does a good job to correct levels, increase gamma, saturate and correct white balance, try 'NewBlue'. It's guick and easy with some other neat tools.

http://www.newbluefx.com/video-essentials.html
Old January 1st, 2009, 03:53 AM   #10
Old Boot

Here's the thing.

When we jump-about positioning, framing and selecting the "shot" we are doing several things. One of which IS positioning the camera to make full use of the ambient or the artificially lit areas and making use of the darks and shadows. This provides interest and visually focuses the attention of the viewer to the subject in question. By applying Brightness and Contrast fx we are literally "flooding" the whole frame with an effect that will ignore the original creative hard-won set up. If I had contrived a shot that provided some neat series of layers as a result of: shallow DoF; rich and subtle colours; somebody speaking to camera where I had positioned them so that they made use of the ambient light - I would dearly love to retain those results. But, because it is a "cover-all" fx, Brightness and Contrast Fx would destroy all my creativity. It would remove all that work. And as a result, it would also remove that all important "video-narrative" that I had contrived to setup.

Using the "other" tools suggested will provide a far far better result in retaining those "shot decisions". PERIOD!

As an aside, I too started using BnC for "dull" looking shots of mine. That was until I, literally, saw the LIGHT! Now I have become fairly competent at CC and CCurves and more plugs now than I knew existed! I was amazed at the depth of quality of the layers and digital information that was STILL within the scope of the event.

Once a "novice" sees the difference there is no going back for them. It's kinda my duty to at least guide people towards the "light"? Yeah? Sure, I often do it badly, but at least I know I have attempted. I think that Vegas should come with some explicit examples of how this is done and esp. for colour correction. However, as this IS a pro package I am guessing that SONY are considering that many will understand the basic concepts of CC, or at least are more than "willing" to learn what is more available to them? And I guess that is where we, all of us can step in and put out a helping hand. Sorry about the mixed metaphor .. !

This will come up time and time again.

Not a problem.

Happy New Year,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:04 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Grazie, than you very much for your eloquent explanation of why we do what we do.

For Bohumil, here are some links that helped me and I'm sure they'll help you as well.
Correcting Exposure in Sony Vegas Part One;
Correcting Exposure in Sony Vegas Part Two;
Sony Vegas Color Correction Tutorial;
Color Correction with Sony Vegas (an excellent DVD).

Best wishes for a very Happy New Year to all the helpful people on this forum!!
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...