Top Menu action in DVD Architect 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 29th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Top Menu action in DVD Architect 5

I have made a DVD with a main menu and two sub menus created with auto scene selection. I have set the button action to return to last menu when selection come from a menu selection page . All works great . However the Top menu button always returns to the second menu page instead of the Top menu. What am I doing wrong.Top Menu selection button is active in properties.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You know I have a similar issue. Might I add my problem here Ron?

When my DVDA DVD scene selection menu is used on my finished DVDs, when the user pushes the top menu button on the remote it always brings up the last menu page used, not the top menu. This seems to be a default setting with DVDA and I don't like it.

I would like the menu button on DVD remote to always bring up the main menu.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; December 29th, 2008 at 03:15 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Exact same problem sets Top menu as the last scene selection menu. Now I have started using DVD Architect to make Bluray and SD DVD the same I don't want to then have to go back to DVDLab Pro2 to create my SD DVD to make it work properly. There must be a default setup somewhere but I can't find it!!!!

Ron Evans
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Ok, this appears to be very simple. Try this:

1. Go into the Scene Selection menu.
2. Double-click on one of the links to go into that link.
3. Click on "Remote Buttons" on the right side properties.
4. Click on the "+" beside the word "Menu"
5. Change the "Destination" to the main menu. You can even pick which button you want highlighted upon return.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Edward,this works for "Menu" correctly. Its "Top Menu" that doesn't work. I have tried clicking, double clicking, right clicking!!! the only choices for TOP MENU are ON or OFF. I have set, and it works correctly, to return to the last menu when MENU is pressed during playback. If TOP MENU is pressed on the remote it goes to the last Scene selection menu programmed. This is incorrect it should go to the opening TOP menu.
I want the viewer to be able to press menu at any time and return to the menu they came from OR press TOP menu and go to the opening TOP menu. I have only started using DVDA since authoring Bluray and as such with authoring with DVDLab PRo this action works correctly . I just don't want to author twice. With DVDA its nice just to change the files.

Ron Evans
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I share Ron's issue...too bad it's not working for him either.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Of course for Bluray, "menu" only works for "popup menus" but at least "Top menu" works!!!!!!!

Ron Evans
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Same problem... here's a comprehensive problem desc.

I too am suffering the same problem as Ron described...
In order to help people help me, here is a chapter and verse description of the project and the problem.

Using DVDA4 (Build 125)
I've been using DVDA for about 18 months now, and haven't noticed this problem before (perhaps I haven't tested my menus well enough in the past?). I have made no changes to my system and applied no updates to DVDA.

Creating a Menu based DVD (not Bluray).
The default menu that DVDA creates is what I understand to be the "Top Menu".
I have four titles on the DVD - they are all children of the project (rather than children of any menu). (By "project", I mean the "disk" icon in the project overview window with the .dar name)
The first title is a "please don't copy" screen and is the "DVD start" item (white star on purple background)

I right-click on the "Menu (Page 1)" line in the Project Overview and select "sub-menu".
I repeat to create a second sub-menu.
After editing, "Menu" contains:
a) a playlist that plays titles 2-4 on the DVD
b) a link to sub-menu 1
c) a button that plays the third title on the DVD only.
d) a link to sub-menu 2

Sub-menu 1 contains buttons to play all of title 2 and to start from chapter points within title 2
Sub-menu 2 contains buttons to play all of title 4 and to start from chapter points within title 4

Titles 2-4 have "Top Menu" set to "On".
The menu and both sub-menus have "Top Menu" set to "On".
Titles 2-4 have "Menu" set to link to "Most recent menu".

Behaviour
Title 2 when played from (top) Menu (as part of the playlist)
> Top Menu goes to Top menu. (Press again, resumes from where we left off)
> Menu goes to Top menu (Press again, resumes from where we left off)
Title 2 when played from Sub-menu 1.
> Top Menu goes to sub-menu 2 <<<-- "UNDESIRED BEHAVIOUR" - and why sub-menu 2 when we set the title playing from sub-menu 1? In any case, it should go to "Menu".
(Press again, resumes where we left off)
> Menu goes to sub-menu 1

Title 4 when played from (top) Menu (as part of the playlist)
> Top Menu goes to Top menu. (Press again, resumes from where we left off)
> Menu goes to Top menu (Press again, resumes from where we left off)
Title 4 when played from sub-menu 2
> Top Menu goes to sub-menu 2 <<<-- "UNDESIRED BEHAVIOUR" - surely it should go to "Menu".
> Menu goes to sub-menu 2

The above behaviour occurs on a Panasonic DVD-RV32 and a Samsung Bluray DVD player (although the button names on the remote control are obviously different). I don't think it's the DVD player...

I've tried restructuring the project (for example, using the project overview window to promote the sub-menus to be children of the project rather than of the main menu) - no difference observed.

This problem has occupied me for about 10 hours today, and the last of my hair is just obeying gravity after having been detached from my head.
Can anyone shed light on this? Is it a bug that three of us have discovered independently within days of each other?
Reg Gothard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:27 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I think its a bug. I never used DVD Architect until making Bluray so cannot comment on it prior to V5. I have given up for SD DVD and gone back to using DVDLab PRo2.0

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...