Vegas and Audio Scrubbing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas and Audio Scrubbing

I am trying to align my externally recorded audio to my camcorder's recorded audio. I hit record in Vegas (to record from external mic) at same time as I hit record on the camcorder remote, and was surprised to see how much of a time lag there is! In any case, I am new to Vegas and have always used Cubase SX for audio work. In Cubase, I could select an audio audition tool and place it anywhere on the audio track and here the audio play from that point. It allows me to very precisely listen to the audio. Much more effective than placing the cursor and hitting the play button. I am trying to do the same in Vegas so I can determine with high precision where the camcorder audio starts and where my externally captured audio starts. I can't do it based on the the starting point of each audio waveform because the camcorder audio has a leading noise tail that my external audio doesn't.

Anyway, I was hoping there is some kind of trick to do this. The Vegas scrubbing features don't work quite well for my needs (and technically, it isn't really scrubbing that I am trying to do but rather one click audio auditioning if that makes sense).

thanks,

brian
Brian Huether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Not sure this is the best way Brian but when I have audio files that need to be synced I just zoom in hit play and then I hit M to make a marker at the first word. Then I solo the second track and do the same. Then just line up the marker points to get a rough match. Then set one track to left channel and the other track to right channel and nudge them together until they match to finish.
Ken Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah that should work pretty well for me. I just got so used to the Cubase tool and because it plays back the instant I click the tool on the audio, I get immediate feedback on audio features. I have found that by placing the cursor and hitting play it doesn't give me the kind of precision that I would like. But that level of precision probably isn't even needed!

thanks,

brian
Brian Huether is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...