Does Vegas support proxy file editing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Does Vegas support proxy file editing?

Hi all, have you edited on a slow laptop on small proxy files (say at a hotel) and then come back home and somehow Vegas on your powerful desktop automatically puts together the edits using the original hdv captured files?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

Vegas works fine with proxies for XDCAM, which has low res proxies created in the camera while you are recording. This does exactly what you're describing, allowing you to edit with them and conform to the high res footage later.

But... Proxies aren't a part of the HDV format.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Proxy editing is not a native function of Vegas, but there are several ways to get this done either through some juggling on your part or the use of a script package.

The Gearshift script package from VASST.com is the slick way to do this. Check it out.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Cool! Netbook trial here i come.....

Seth, thanks, looks exactly what i need

I got a Samsung NC10 netbook for Christmas from my wife and its portability/battery life is so good i just pick it up and travel. I use it for web browsing but I loaded Vegas and it runs slow as is expected -but if i can use proxies for simple 2 video channels editing that would be great.....will report back on how it goes.

Sherif
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Another way is Proxy Stream.
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Or, for free, you could render out the master file(s) to an SD or compressed HD format. Then do all your work on those. When time comes, copy the project to you fast machine. When Vegas asks for the master, point it to the original file, not the small proxy.
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Or, for free, you could render out the master file(s) to an SD or compressed HD format. Then do all your work on those. When time comes, copy the project to you fast machine. When Vegas asks for the master, point it to the original file, not the small proxy.
Thanks everyone for your tips. Gilles I will look at proxystream.

Perrone, aaah, sounds nice and simple, since I want to try editing on a 10" screen netbook (simple cuts in case you're rolling your eyes) I could just as well render to 360x270 SD stream, hmmm, def worth a try. Would it be easier on the processor if I used WMV?

Sherif
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherif Choudhry View Post
Perrone, aaah, sounds nice and simple, since I want to try editing on a 10" screen netbook (simple cuts in case you're rolling your eyes) I could just as well render to 360x270 SD stream, hmmm, def worth a try. Would it be easier on the processor if I used WMV?

Sherif

No, don't render to such a compressed format. Use an intraframe intermediate like DV.
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #9
New Boot

rendering out alternate files instead of using proxies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
So you mean to literally place the original footage on the timeline and manually render out new footage at a better working format (.avi or HDV?) then deny those files to Vegas on the faster machine? But when you point to the originals on the fast machine, won't the Vegas timeline not know how to plug in footage because the time code etc. will be different?

Trying to learn... Thanks in advance for your response...
Andrew Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #10
Major Player

I had forgotten about using VASST Gearshift as I have a licensed copy.

I was seeing marked slow downs while editing on my laptop and installed it just to see if I saw an improvement - sure did - just have to accept that hard drive space will get eaten due to generating proxy files and you'll have to be patient as Gearshift renders those files for use in editing. Otherwise one of the best $50.00 purchases I've made.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...